I am enjoying your lists of traditions (see below); keep 'em coming. :)
Today, though, I want to document a couple of things. I've always loved the arts. And... hee, hee, the crafts. They've both been on my mind.
The Arts, because this season is filled with music, and mine has been speaking to me profoundly. My sister's chorus (oh look! there she is, right on top of their webpage!) recorded an amazing Christmas CD. I've been listening to it daily, but only as much as I can stand, because it's so emotionally moving I can only do one or two songs at a time. I'm amazed by the power that one chord, or, in "The Friendly Beasts," (a song I usually don't care for, btw) ONE NOTE at the lower end of the piano honestly moves me to tears. I've been wishing that I could fill my every HOUR with music and make a living from it. I don't know that that's my calling, but oh, what a joy it would be. I'm ever grateful for my own small part in the world of Music -- like last night, I got to cantor at the Immaculate Conception vigil Mass. Although it took me away from my home and family for yet another hour, I was truly lifted up by being allowed to sing. Even humble little ol' "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman." So, so grateful.
And The Crafts, because yesterday I went to the fabric store to buy grosgrain ribbon and barettes. I'm making KT a few hairbow stocking stuffers all by myself, and the idea of getting out my glue gun and attempting a new thing was surprisingly exciting for me. I don't have time for big craft projects anymore, but even a tiny trip into that side of my creativity gives me a little boost. I need to remember that, and find things I like doing, and DO THEM. Creativity is good! Crafts are okay!
2 comments:
I'm no longer amazed by the power of a single chord or a single note, but they still can move me to tears. And I want to share that with blog readers, but I can't. It's not meant to be talked about, but experienced.
I like being moved by music, because I know I'm living in the moment. When I'm distracted, worrying, or frustrated, music loses its power for me. One of the best thing about Madison is that she likes to dance, so we get to enjoy music and get some exercise on many weeknights. Madison also LOVES "crafts," and spent 3 straight hours cutting, gluing, and coloring yesterday. I also love it, though I don't have any crafting "talent." I think I'd like for Christmas a book of kid craft ideas. That would be a great present, actually.
Post a Comment