Nutrition, man. It's so interesting. The basic tenets of Sisson's Primal lifestyle are to cut out grains (poison!), eat real fats (saturated!), exercise moderately, and, oh yeah, go organic. Mostly I think his plan makes good sense -- even the organic part, for meats. (If the cow ate corn, then my burger is delivering corn to my system, and corn is a grain=not allowed.) I'm not sure I'm on-board for going organic on everything else -- he says pesticides and conventionally-grown plants/foods also harbor 'poisons,' but I say I CAN WASH THEM AND SAVE THE CASH. Plus I don't like buying into the hippie-dippy organic movement, even when it sometimes sorta seems to make sense. I just mean the idea that the business of agriculture has exploded in the last 1,000 years, and probably with some less-than-fully-transparent -- or "what we know now" practices that aren't good for our collective American health. You know?
I was all set to start the Primal 21-day challenge yesterday. And I still might try a basic lowering of my carbs to 50-100 grams/day, what Sisson calls the "easy weight-loss" carb zone.
Of course, I explained the system to Shawn and he said, "No chips? Impossible." Probably right, heh. But if I get 100 grams of grain a day.... hmm. Maybe possible. ;)
In general I like the idea and want to keep exploring it. The Before & Afters are pretty amazing, including two people I actually KNOW in real life (Mimi, a cousin, and Katherine, a former co-worker), who've gone Paleo (similar, but requires also giving up all dairy, and no way is that happening) to great success. Not to mention the "feel better, eat steak and fat, reduce risks of disease" part. It's similar to the book I read last summer, and was skeptical about, but now want to return to and think the science through some more.
Soooo interesting. Good thing I got a good fix of crackers-n-cheese, pasta, birthday cake and fried foods during the last month. ;)
---
We love our new house and we're fighting the urge to have it all perfectly decorated and show-worthy immediately. It's just not possible so I can't let myself get stressed about it. Little by little is how we're going to have to do it, BUT/AND, I mustn't wait until I have the perfect furniture in every nook and corner before I start decorating. I just need to make it nice NOW. Before we moved, we made our old house look nearly perfect, and I liked it. I want it back, PLUS. (Plus = being a more functional house in a nicer neighborhood.) But every day when I get home and open the back door, I'm so happy that this house is our house! It smells nice. It looks clean (ish), or will after the boxes are all gone. (We still have lots of boxes.) It's bright and I feel happy there. :)
---
The kids are away! Kate's with her g'parents in P'cola (hi guys), and Alex is at WinShape for 2 weeks! I miss them, but wow, our days are simple, and nice, without them for a while. I've spent time in my kitchen just padding around, I've ENJOYED cooking the last two nights, because there's no time limit, and no other demands for my attention. Just. Cook. It's bliss. And tonight is date night! Meet me after work, just like a couple of youthful singles!
---
Work work work, hasn't let up. There are a hundred things I should be doing right now, and I still couldn't catch up. Every time I type that, I think I'd better get off of Blogger and get back to it. Dammit.
No comments:
Post a Comment