Gosh, I hope there won't be too many covid weekends. We had our first, though, and it was a relief.
What we did:
First of all, to put away my laptop in its bag, plus all of its wires and accoutrements -- a pen and pencil, my paper planner, my notebook, a box of labels I had used, the pillow for my back -- helped things look much more orderly. By Friday, I was itching to straighten up all the shoes and socks by the back door, papers on countertops, etc. With three of us here all day, that stuff just seemed to accumulate. Not to mention the dirt and fallen blossoms we kept tracking in from outside (we've been lucky to have good weather during this so far, so all of us have been outside and back in multiple times a day -- well, that's not true, Alex doesn't go outside as much as Kate and I do). So anyway, I cleaned downstairs first thing. I have been wiping doorknobs and light switch plates every day with a Clorox wipe, and will continue to do that, but a good full cleaning made me feel SO much better. Vacuumed, scrubbed the kitchen sink and counters, and put stuff away.
We signed our taxes and paid the CPAs. I took a nap Saturday after reading some of my book. I did a yoga video and painted my toenails.
The most memorable thing was a bummer of a conversation with my neighbor. She'd invited us to dinner. At first I said yes, but the more I thought about it, the more guilt crept in, and I felt like we really shouldn't be doing that. :( It was hard and I still feel bad, but she said she understood. I didn't mean that the kids couldn't play at all this week, but I think that's how she's going to take it. Maybe I'll have to send Kate over there at some point. It's just... all the articles say social distancing is not supposed to include dinner parties. Sigh. I don't know, maybe it was unkind of me - we humans need each other, after all - but it seemed like the right thing to do. I tried to let it go on my yoga mat, but apparently I'm still feeling bad about it.
On Sunday, Alex had his first private clarinet lesson. It seemed to go well and I'm happy he wants more instruction. We watched a couple of movies ("Big," and I will never again suggest an '80s movies to these kids, and "Dark Phoenix" which was pretty good). Sunday night after dinner we played a game of Carcassone.
What we ate:
On Saturday, we got take-out from Moe's for lunch, and Chili's for dinner. It felt like a little luxury. And on Sunday, instead of our neighbor's pot roast, we had a Hello Fresh meal (pork carnitas tacos, I liked them). We also made brownies. And Kate saw something online she wanted to try -- a frothy coffee cream (whipped by hand!) over a glass of milk. It was pretty yummy but took forever to whip! P.S. I have let any and all discipline about eating go out the window.
How we felt:
Mostly normal, and good. I think some of the stress of the work-week dissipated. Shawn got out in the yard and that made him feel better to Do Something; introverted me didn't mind being home reading at all!
I'm really not looking forward to work this week. I love working at home, but I'm not motivated on this Monday morning. We will see what the day holds. Kate supposedly won't have any new assignments until Tuesday (gah). She has been instructed to read a book and practice piano. I have a meeting with Shan at 9:00, and then a full staff meeting at 10:30.
1 comment:
Don't feel guilty. We're not seeing anyone at all. Madison's best friends' moms are saying no getting together. I cancelled with a handyman for this week, and I really did not want to cancel. But this is what we are supposed to do, I think. For a while.
Post a Comment