Last night, I was struck very emotionally about how dad-gum GROWN Alex looked on-stage:
Seriously, click to make larger and see just how handsome he is. ;) The new haircut helps, some, too, but this is a kid! A mere child! Okay, he's 15 and a half, but how and when exactly did that happen?! I just couldn't quite believe it. There was a sense of "this is what he will look like as an adult" and I did not enter that theater expecting such a vision.
I was so glad to go listen to him play, and gosh, I'm thankful for this school. Public school is AMAZING in our district/county. This music program blows me away -- the concert last night was thisclose to being as good as any symphony orchestra I've heard. The music was so difficult! It's just all kinds of impressive.
And it chokes a mom up, especially when she's sitting safely (intentionally) by herself and allows the little tears to well right up because no one is watching.
One other thing I want to remember: He was excited about the third piece on the program because he said, "It's just fun to play." And ahhhhhhh, that got me in the heart! To know the Joy of music is something I dearly, dearly wished for my kids. Afterwards he told me "I'll miss playing that one." Just.. sighhhhh. So happy. He actually practices these days. He wants to learn more, get better -- has even asked to start clarinet lessons, despite being worried about the cost (good-hearted). YES, that is happening. Spare no expense! Bring it on.
As a update from the last post, his braces are half on (bottom half comes next), and so far we cannot even tell he has them. He has a kind-of narrow-lipped smile, anyway, but I seriously forget because I NEVER SEE them (they're clear). Whew. Hopefully he isn't bothered by them and they will do their work and allow an impacted tooth to fall where it's supposed to, thus negating the need for mouth surgery. Eek. Please please please.
And in other facial news, he has his own razor now and has used it. What the what?! Yeah.
Two more driving sessions with the instructor to go; he still has to wait until at least August before getting his license, but he's getting better every time I ride with him. It still scares the heck out of me, but not quite as much as it did at first.
He's writing a paper on "Things Fall Apart" today, for his AP history/literature class. That first AP exam is coming up in a few weeks. I think he's somewhat interested in what's happening in politics this year. And he chose his electives for his JUNIOR YEAR.
Hard to believe. The days are long but the years are indeed so very, painfully short.

2 comments:
Wow wow wow. You done good, Momma.
Catching up on your blog. I LOVE the photo of Alex. Looking SO grown up. And - what - a razor!!! And the new haircut. Be still my heart.
Post a Comment