Tuesday, March 24

Week 2 Begins: The Same, But With Rain

It was better when the weather was good, last week. Yesterday it rained all day, and today promises the same, making us feel cooped up instead of on "vacation." I mean, of course it isn't a vacation, but you know.

I'm still super grateful for this time, whenever I think about it really. Yesterday was a tough one, though. Stress and discomfort are kind-of starting to pierce through, and it shows in arguments and frustrations with each other or with our work. But we'll get through it, I guess. Every day is a chance to try again.

What we ate:
Yesterday's fight was about lunch, because apparently I'd promised Chick Fil A drive-through. I did not recall ever saying that, and it was rainy and we have lots of food that needs to be eaten, so I refused. It did not turn out well. For dinner we made chicken tenders, green beans and roasted potatoes. We're not as snacky during the days as I thought we'd be, although we have plenty of snacks. However, we're dessert-y. ;) Yesterday since Kate didn't have much work to do, I asked her to make us Jell-O (orange).

We we did:
Not much. My workday was hijacked around 4:15 as my managers anticipated that the governor was going to shut Georgia down, and therefore we had to get ready. I scrambled to write a "COVID-19 update" email, then had to watch the press conference... then he didn't do what we thought. We decided to postpone until today. But even before that, my day was borked. Meetings in the morning, the CFA argument around noon, and then I couldn't focus after that. I didn't get much accomplished, I didn't workout really, and I felt meh. Alex worked more efficiently because he made himself a schedule. Shawn worked at his office. He's likely going to quit going to his gym for now, and Lana, who cuts our hair, called to cancel Shawn's appt this week.

How we felt: See above. I'm starting to wonder when we'll be able to go back to normal. Shawn brought up how the kids, at this time of their lives, are really supposed to be WITH other kids. It's going to mess with their development, we predict. And Alex's band director wrote a long email, addressing the seniors in particular. He wrote, "I hope we'll get to make music together again," and it made me cry.

Another thing: The world is providing all kinds of fun, free online entertainment and learning and "group chats" and stuff, but we aren't really taking advantage of any of it. I'm not sure why -- partly because it overwhelms me. Partly because I don't want to "impose" things on the kids by making them watch or do anything they don't want to. And then I think, "I'm not being a very good parent-leader." (Because maybe these things would help us all feel good.) So that's great.

Finally: I'm worried about my friend S., from Life of a Doctor's Wife! S., where are you? Are you okay?

One bright spot last night: AFV. People are still doing stupid things and recording them, and they (and their pets) make us laugh.

No comments: