Wednesday, April 13

energy shortage

I want to post something so that something besides "diet update" appears at the top of the page. I don't like to think of myself as a "chronic dieter" or even as someone who cares that much. I don't know why I'm embarassed by the headline but I am. So here's a post. I am not promising that it will be a good one.

I want to talk about work, as it's getting to me today. All the conversations and meetings about "taxonomies" and "compliance" and "architectures" and "prospectives" and blah ba dee blah blah corporate language is giving me a headache. Actually, no, it isn't a headache... it's the dread disease, ennui. Bore-dom. The Kingdom of Bore. I'm just not interested today. There are more important -- more interesting -- things in this world.... but, actually, no.... I'm not even interested in them at the moment. I'm tired of reading and absorbing everything that the world, the media, and (especially) our clients are putting out there. Do you know that we never stop absorbing? In the car, we listen to the radio. When we get home, we read our mail. Then check our email. Then our favorite blogs. Then we watch our shows, and of course, the news. I habitually pick up a magazine when I stand in a line, when I wait at the doctor's office, even when I go to the bathroom, just because it's sitting there. It just seems like, with so MUCH information, nothing really means anything. Not even the deep, theological opinions I read online, with interest, this morning. They're just self-absorbed people typing to see themselves in print ("talking to hear themselves talk"). And they obviously tired me out.

(So, here I sit, contributing to the information assault, both in my work and in my blog! I wish myself would shut up and go home.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I too find it amazing how trivial things can become when I step outside of myself for a minute. Sometimes it just blows me away. But I haven't taken the time in the last couple of weeks to shut up (meditate) and take the long view.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. Sometimes, it makes us wonder what we're REALLY here for.

I think that's what my "on the farm" post was about... It would be nice to move away from the monotony at work and do something that has meaning, like raising animals, growing food, actually doing things that help sustain life.

el-e-e said...

Gerah, I have had the exact same thoughts during my life. Yes, yes, yes. Raising food, sustaining life. It all makes sense. Typing and griping? Not so much. ;)