Friday, December 9

A Christmas Survey

Colored lights or white lights?
On the tree? Colored. I like a "family" tree with family ornaments, and I grew up with colored lights. Now, on the house? If we did lights outside? All white.

Real tree or fake tree?
Fake fake fake. Grew up with fake and that was part of the tradition, putting the branches together! :) It's such a hassle to get a real one. And so expensive. And the darn pine needles in the carpet make me crazy.

What is your least favorite thing about the holidays?
(Stole from a friend): Overwrought renditions of Christmas carols by pop stars.
(And mine:) The stress of so many parties that I feel obligated to attend.

What is the one thing that you would like to see under the tree this year?

Lots of fun toys for AJ

What is your favorite thing to do/build in the snow?
Snow ice cream was a favorite when I was a kid!

What is your favorite holiday drink?
I love me some Gluhwein! My friend Mark made this one year for us, and it was deeeelicious. Packs a punch, though, so beware!

What is your favorite holiday smell?
Actually, the smell of morning coffee used to always remind me of Christmas.

Who is your favorite reindeer?
Rudolph, duh!

What is your Christmas Eve ritual?
When I was little, we went to Granny's for a present exchange, and I learned later that it's a very German tradition to open presents on C. Eve. Which fits, 'cause that side of the family was German. Now we don't really have official ritual, except that my sister and I always like to hop in bed together (at least for a little while) and giggle and anticipate the next morning. Don't guess we'll do that this year… could be a bit awkward since we both have husbands now!

Are you a Friday after Thanksgiving shopper?

No way, no how.

What is your favorite holiday food?

So many foods, so little time. I might have to say "sand tarts," this version of the Italian wedding cookie my Granny used to make (and now my sister makes), but I generally prefer salty to sweet, so it might be Chex mix… I could go on and on with this question, really. :)

How did you find out that Santa wasn't real?
I don't remember.

Who do you want to be under the mistletoe with?
My husband. Or AJ. Although, don't you remember the days when you really had a crush on someone at the Christmas parties? My college friend (Mark, the same one as the Gluhwein story) used to have a party every year and he'd climb up big trees in order to get plenty of mistletoe to hang. I remember that feeling of wishing to be "accidentally" under it with someone… it never quite happened as romantically as I wanted it to, sigh.

Have you bought all your presents yet?

Are you kidding?

Do you spend Christmas with a lot of family?
When we go to Florida, I do! One year it was like a revolving door of family members coming by for present exchanges. Mom's side, then Dad's side right after. Then off to Aunt's house for dinner! Crazy!

Do you still make snowmen and snow angels?
If it would ever snow I'd totally make a snowman.

What's your favorite Christmas movie?
Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase

What do you plan to do for New Year's Eve?
As little as possible.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever gotten for Christmas?

2 years ago when I was pregnant, we got a miniature (toy?) car, like a model car (a Hummer), from DH's grandparents. ?! We didn't even know it was a boy yet so we couldn't figure out if it was for us or the baby.

What's the most expensive thing you've gotten for Christmas?
I guess last year my laptop was my Christmas present.

How early do you wake up on Christmas morning?
It's always been early. 6-ish, 6:30-ish.

What do you usually get in your stocking?
Lipstick, candy, nail polish, gift cards, cash. I LOVE stockings. We have ours in a different room than the tree and we always go, "Oh! We still have stockings to open!" after the other presents are done. It's a nice little post-lude!

Hey, feel free to play along if you like. In Comments or your own blog. Let me know, I love reading about other people's traditions.

1 comment:

Krissy said...

Howdy, darlin! I have hork-ed your meme for Speckblog. I have also credited you.

xoxoxo

Krissy