Instead of my usual, I thought I could use a shot of Happy today, and after reading the beautiful lists of inspiration by Madame Rubies and Tiff, *I* was inspired!
First off, the word that caught my attention in Heather's post, the thing that inspires her, that jolted me to attention, was "Stillness." I have to borrow that. Stillness, without a doubt, inspires me. I just wish there were more of it in my life! For me, though, to really be inspired, I'd have to add solitude. Stillness, with others... well, I'm not sure I've ever really experienced that! I think stillness begs for solitude, and I love them as a pair.
Studying music inspires me. Not just listening, which can be inspirational, but when I've studied a piece intimately, and have been taught the why and wherefore of each note and each marking, it becomes infinitely more beautiful -- especially when it's then played/sung/performed perfectly. By me, or otherwise. Just yesterday I heard either the 2nd or 3rd movement of Beethoven's 5th on the classical radio station -- one phrase in particular reminded me of when I'd studied it in a music lit class in college, and I smiled. Ravel's Bolero inspires me every time I hear it and I hate to leave before it's finished. (Also, to continue music-geeking-out for a moment here, gorgeous suspensions, and dissonances that then resolve into harmonies -- Yeah.)
Watching AJ's face while he's asleep. Getting right up close to it so I can breathe his breath. Even better? Holding him while he sleeps. Heaven.
Driving with the windows down in spring. I especially like doing this at night, on nights when I'm returning from church, and I drive through the National Park near my house. It's very dark back there, and that cool, dark wind gives me a rush of happy.
Beautiful, descriptive, intelligent writing inspires me. Reading it, I mean. There's nothing like good writing.
Lives of unshakable, quiet faith in God's plan.
Holding hands and walking slowly.
Deep breaths of sunny morning.
2 comments:
I love this. What I love most is, I went back and rea dmine b/c I don't remember listing "stillness" (though I should have), and the word I wrote is actually "silliness." *grins* I love how connections can be made. You needed to see stillness there, and so you did, despite what i wrote. God tends to work that way, in spite of us when he can't work through us.
Isn't that funny! Silliness is good, too! :) I really did read "Stillness." Thanks for pointing it out to me. You're right about God's work... Pretty neat.
Post a Comment