Since my next-door-cube-neighbor can't stop thinking about BABY, and since Julie has an announcement to make, and since Stacie asked, here are my five top most-favoritist baby gifts.
1. The "refresher" basket at the hospital.
One of my friends delivered to me, when she came to the hospital, a little decorative basket with "comfort" goodies. Since I had a blue baby (boy), nearly everything in the basket was packaged in blue. There were packs of peppermint Extra and Denteyne Ice gum, those little snack-size Oreos, I think a bag of Ghiardelli chocolates, some bottled water... Maybe there was a blue something for the baby, too. I just remember this being such a thoughtful thing. I clearly would have no inclination or time to go out and buy gum for a few weeks, so she did it for me.
2. A good quality classic toy.
One of my dear Book Club buddies bought AJ the coolest gift set of wooden blocks. I say "high-end" but I mean Pottery Barn, which isn't THAT out of the price range. (Much cheaper than some of these! Sheesh!) Ours came in this sturdy cylindrical canister, they're painted in solid primary colors (safe paint, of course), and building blocks are simply a must. Pottery Barn Kids doesn't seem to have those exact ones anymore, but you can find something similar.
3. Books A Million.
Of course, we started reading to AJ before he was actually born, which at first meant Reader's Digest jokes and sometimes a Southern Living. Oh, and DH read from Electronic Gaming Monthly. Therefore! When we started getting real books, some old favorites and some brand new, we were elated. We continue to read to AJ any time he asks (within reasonable limits, of course), and every night before bed. A couple first favorites: Jamberry, Owl Babies, and any books like this with the bright images and "learning words." LOVE!
4. Fluffy, cuddly things.
I know it seems cliche but we got some of the cutest little stuffed friends for Baby AJ. Sandwich was my particular favorite, because he was just about the size I imagined Baby would be, before Baby arrived. I'd tiptoe around the nursery and pretend, using that yarn-covered lovey. I've bought these for several new mommies and had great success. They're just so unique-looking. But this guy, too, proved invaluable. (Ours was a blue bear.) Soft and cushy, and AJ slept on him for many weeks in the beginning, in the pack-n-play. The head was perfect for propping Baby on his side to sleep (he was NOT a back-sleeper, ever).
5. The ever-wonderful "Meal on Wheels" gift.
I know you can't tote this to a shower, but I'm telling you the single nicest thing you can do for a new mom is make a quick casserole (nothing spicy or weird, just some delicious comfort food), buy a bag salad, whip up a pan of blondies (not chocolate 'cause some mommies don't want chocolate if they're b'feeding), and pop by the house. She's got to entertain, you see, while she's trying to recover. And even if it's her own Mom visiting her... well, just EVERYONE will appreciate an already-cooked supper. I received, for posterity: chicken pot-pie & lemon/blueberry pudding, which were divine, as well as a tupperware-full of gumbo, YUM. :)
I also condone and encourage:
anything from her baby registry
gift cards from WalMart, Target, Babies R Us
a box of diapers in any size (seriously)
a "mommy's brag book" small photo album (or daddy's, or both) - purse sized
There aren't any real practical gifts listed here, and practical is great if you've had success with something. But these things really meant something to me and have been cherished.
6 comments:
That's a good list. I tend to give a basket or bag or box of my favorite things from over the years. My preferred diaper cream, favorite baby wash, cute outfit, favorite books, and something for mommy too, usually. People seem to like knowing that I gave them what I have actually used.
Great post and thanks for stopping by our adoption blog!
Thanks for the shoutout. We (Shmoo too!) saw the heartbeat today for the first time and now have a slightly later due date: October 4. Thrilled!
so glad you posted this! I was just invited to a baby shower in March, and I was going to ask you what some of your favorite baby gifts were.
Thanks - I would love to do the food but since we are almost 15 hours apart - I don't think she would appreciate me sending something like that through the mail. :)
Thanks again.
Nice to see the information about the baby gifts ideas ..
Baby gift ideas
Post a Comment