Friday, February 16

Being a responsible grown-up

Starbucks was giving away a FREE! EXTRA! SHOT! OF ESPRESSO! this morning so forgive me if I'm feeling a tad SPASTIC.

HI HOW ARE YA GOOD MORNING BOY IS IT COLD OUTSIDE AND OHMYGOODNESSIHAVE ALOTOFTHINGS TO TELLYOU!!

I am hooked on a new TV show that isn't nearly as funny as the genius Mac ads, but is equally compelling. I ran upstairs during a commercial break last night so I could hurry and turn on the "bedtime" TV and not miss a moment (sad, I know): MTV's "Juvies." Anyone else see this one? I'm probably the only 32 year old who actually watches MTV anymore but this one has edge. I never went to Juvie. (Surprise.) I don't even know where it's located in my hometown, or know anyone who went there. We were all quite boring and suburban and had supportive families who raised us right. So it's very satisfying, in a weird voyeuristic way, to see this side of young life.

I've always been highly annoyed by badly-behaved teenagers; even as a teen I thought, GAWD. What is the point, y'idiots? I feel the same about these kids, but it gives me some insight into "their side of it." And maybe as a parent, I see things differently. At any rate, Husband and I were talking last night as we watched, and we decided high school is just crappy no matter who you are. Pretty, popular, studious, party-guy, slacker. It's the Age of Rotten, no doubt about it.

I think it's incredibly smart of MTV to broadcast the documentary, not only because it paints the network as one who wants kids to BE GOOD (instead of as the Beacon of Bad Behavior (Jackass) and the Instigator of Fulll-On Drunken Hot-Tub Stupidity (Real World) that it has traditionally been since the 1990s)... but also because truly, kids need to see this stuff. They need to see that riding in the car with someone [who has illegal drugs] could actually get them in trouble. Not that it's showing anything violent or harsh "inside." The detention officers are actually quite caring. The kids wear sweatshirts and sit in a newly remodeled lounge (doing nothing). I loved the one security officer last night who was listening to an "inmate:" The runaway said, "I don't ever want to come back here." The officer, a mom-aged, tough-looking woman, responded quickly, "Well, ya shouldn't-a been here in the first place," and kindof shook her head & rolled her eyes sadly. Like, DUH. And the JUDGE is no-nonsense. You can tell she's had teenaged kids. She bangs the gavel heavily. Her judgements are very fair, and so far (3 or 4 episodes in) she's let most of 'em go home to their parents, but it's clear that her role is to put the fear of God in them, and she does it well.

personal disclaimer: watching MTV is Serious Market Research, thank you.

Meanwhile in my grown-up life, I've listened to Morning Edition all this week and their series on Shiite Islam, Iran, Hezzbollah, and That Situation. Have learned A.Lot. I hope to retain it. You just have to TRY to understand the history behind all of that mess in order to be an informed citizen in this world.

Heavy thoughts for a Friday, eh?!

4 comments:

MaryB said...

Shias, Sunnis, Iraq, Iran, all of it...AArgh! Been doing lots of reading and research around here, too. It is very difficult to find completely obejective info on the net. What has disappointed me the most, though, is that I do not like the general direction my thoughts are goign these days. They just don't jive with who I think of myself to be...Makes my brain hurt to think about it too long. Once again, this is all further evidence that we should live closer so as to be able to have long, insighful, philosophical discusssions about the world. I miss that!

el-e-e said...

yes...with Starbucks in-hand, of course!

Anonymous said...

I occasionally think I have a handle on the "Iran situation" and then it slips out of my grasp. You might need to do a luncheon lecture some day.

nicole said...

I have watched Juvies once or twice. I am fascinated with most things related to crime. I have no criminal impulse, so it is very foreign to me. What I really like though are the shows about drugs. Intervention on A&E is a favorite.