I bought this votive candle yesterday (I know. I BOUGHT something. Frivolous!) -- it was called "Sun and Sand." Through the cellophane it smelled, hmm... fresh and... inoffensive, so compared to "Peach-Cranberry Pie" (too spicy) and "Ultra Vanilla Frosting Sugar," (possibly too sweet) it was a go... $1.79 wouldn't change my register total too much, since I was buying 3 throw pillows to replace the ones that recently smelled like puke. All about positive smells, yesterday's errand.
Anyway I got this candle home and unwrapped it, and y'know what it actually smells like? Y'know what its creators PURPOSEFULLY made it smell like? SPF 45. No kidding, it smells like steamy, lotion-y kids, and the inside of my beach bag. They probably tossed a bit of chlorine in there just to be sure they got it right. It's no "fresh air, zen-your-mind" beach fragrance like I thought -- it's the REAL smell. The 21st-century don't-get-skin-cancer smell. The where-is-my-kid-I-only-see-4-heads-above-water, and "has it been more than 60 minutes heneedsmoreBullfrog" smell. I wonder what they gave the guy who came up with it, after they slapped his back with hearty congrats over at the Yankee Candle factory? Maybe a day off... with a bottle of Coppertone, wink wink.
It's making me think about our beach vacation, which I was already dreaming about. June will be here in, let's see... 4 short months. Now, I wouldn't want to mention dieting, because Linda said that kind of talk on a blog is just beyond lame. (I trust Linda on this. She is very much to be trusted.) So I'll spare you. But yesterday I ate a vitamin-rich salad and a Whole Grain Lean Pocket for lunch. All I'm sayin'.
* * * * * * * * *
And now, from the I-Am-My-Mother's-Daughter News desk: I've ditched Fat-free creamer in favor of (skim) milk, warmed in the microwave, for my morning coffee. It's so much better. Simpler, more natural. Real Cafe au Lait. Thanks, Mom. :)
4 comments:
Now what you need to tell us is: is it a positive smell? That is, do you think, "Oh my god, how delicious, it's exactly like sunscreen, I am transported!" or is it more like, "Geez, if I wanted the smell of sunscreen I would have just snorked a whiff directly from the bottle"?
Once again - you are crackin' me up!
Only 4 months???? We need to get a countdown going! I actually said to the fam during some crisis or another yesterday..."Good Grief! Isn't it time to go to the beach already!?#%@&!?"
There is a store in destin commons that sells a scent called del mar that smells "very fresh air, zen-your-mind" beach fragrance"
Thank you for telling me about it - I was tempted to order votives from Yankee Candle's sale for around the bath tub but now I am not so sure. I want a nice fragrance around their (hint of romance wouldn't hurt). I don't have a beach vacation planned but I am looking forward to warmer weather, a lounge chair out back, a nice drink and a book.
Can't come soon enough.
Swistle: It's... mostly positive. Mostly a feel-good smell, and yes, transports me right into the middle of summer. Makes me smile in anticipation.
I haven't lit it yet. I'm worried that lighting it? And incensing that smell up into the rafters of my house? Might be more like bottle-whiffing.
Stacie: I *highly* recommend Yankee candles in the following fragrances: Mistletoe or Christmas Wreath, Sparkling Grapefruit, Spiced Pumpkin, and Hazelnut Coffee... others of theirs are great depending on your taste. Sometimes I think they're a little much, but hey, if you want your house to smell like "Juicy Watermelon," these are folks to do it for you. They're spot on. :)
Post a Comment