So Melessa is the latest person I've seen with this meme. Since my Mom is racking her brain trying to choose a Destin Book Club book, I thought maybe this list could help jump-start her.
The ones I’ve read (or started to read) are in bold.
The ones I want to read are in italics.
I've left alone the ones that I'm not interested in.
1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (George Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Scott Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolsoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In the Skin of a Lion (Michael Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce) -?did I read this in High School? Surely I did...
Obviously a Book-Clubber of some sort created this list. I'm disappointed that I've only read 43 of them. Although, I can think of some better choices I'd have put in besides EACH of the LOTR series, and EACH of Harry P. Like, The Borrowers. A Wrinkle in Time. Walden, hELL-oOh.
9 comments:
love it! 43 is impressive. we've read several of the same (not surprising), but I love seeing the ones you've read that I've not heard of, or that you've read and I've read but we've not yet talked about. We'll have to have some book-y chats soon!
You can bet that I have not read 43 of them! Maybe 30? Ill have to go count. I need to read more!
Also, as for beach week, truly not trying to step on anyone's toes, but here is an interesting true story...and one both sexes can read.
Same Kind of Different as Me
by Ron Hall
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780849900419&crvAll=1&crvStart=1&displayonly=CRV&z=y#CRV
Okay, I have read many of those books that you have not read and don't indicate that you want to read. And I can't help myself. I have to give my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, but know that I LOVE books and wouldn't suggest one unless I really thought it was worth your time.
The Time-traveler's Wife is excellent. Excellent. I have read it several times. An unconventional but very moving love story.
Fall on Your Knees: I just finished this book over the weekend (my last piece of fiction until after Lent). It is a little strange, but very haunting and thought-provoking. You would not be disappointed to read it. And I have it and will mail it to you if you want me to.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is also a great read. I don't remember a lot of specifics (it has been a couple of years) but I do remember enjoying it. I borrowed it from a friend whose opinion I trusted.
And I really likd the LOTR books, but they are not for everybody and definitely take time.
I love books-can you tell?
37 - a little better than i thought.
Since opinion expressing has begun... I like Tuesdays betterthan the Five People and i liked Angels and Demons better than Da Vinci. Youa re so spot-on not to indicate interest in White Oleander - blah! One of the few Ive truly hated.
Sorry for the typing - the infamous finger now in clunky splint.
Bourne Identity and Angels and Demons are good poolside and airplane reading!
PS - hello jilly!
4and: totally accept your recommendations! and will accept your book-swapping, too! email me at thrash428 AT yahoo. :) Also, I don't know why I didn't mark the LOTR ones... I would like to read them, it's just such a daunting project to take them all on.
Maryb: no toe-stepping! Ya-Ya-Ma will happily consider any suggestions, I'm told! FP3
el-e-e-I read the LOTR books often while playing the movie soundtrack in the background. I have the best memories from doing that.
Also, The Mists of Avalon is much better than its companion made-for-TNT mini-series. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for playing along...and now I need to go count how many of the books I read.
We definitely have similar book tastes. I read White Oleander and liked it but hated it too -- one of those. And I'd like to read Watership Down again. I read it as a kid and thought it was the best thing ever. Life of Pi was astonishing. I'm pretty sure I have it if you want to borrow. I got through about 100 pages of Ulysses. Not a fan.
Hi hope you are enjoying the party. No-one was impressed by my burnt sausage roll as an appetiser so I'm giving away a book instead :-) Please stop by my blog if you want to be in with a chance of winning. Party on! Becs.
I think it's excellent that you have read 43 of them. I recently joined a blogging book club and I am on my first book, Second Glance... what a horrible read for my first book. What do you do when it's just. so. slowww?
Post a Comment