Tuesday, August 4

Goodness abounds

How I wish I could write a replica of this lovely post, with our particular household details plugged in, instead of Sundry's. How! It made me teary, and made me realize again that the daily round is such a profound gift. The insignificant things – like the clink of a fork hitting its mates in the silverware drawer, the fuzzy bed-hair on a sleepy boy's head – are what make up this beautiful life.

The only thing I want to post today, after reading that, is an account of my blessings.

>> We saw a kind pediatrician on Saturday, who was funny and gentle with both coughing kids, looking into their ears "to check their brains for butterflies." I love doctors who can make kids (and parents!) unafraid. I love doctors who'll PRESCRIBE something, and not just advise me to turn on a humidifier. I love doctors who don't grumble about being there on a Saturday morning for sick visits. God bless him.

>> I went to the grocery store last night. I am so grateful for having the means to buy food for my family when so many don't have that luxury. I'd spent my lunch hour planning a week of meals that I think everyone will enjoy, and I was glad to be there late in the evening, in the quiet. I've always liked grocery shopping. I remember going with my mom when I was a teen, and I also fondly remember when DH and I could go together, before we had kids. At the register we would always see who could guess "closest to the (showcase) total without going over!" Happy memories.

>> I'm grateful for my parents. I had the thought this weekend that I should be calling them every day. I don't know if that’s true or if it would annoy them. I do instant-message and email them on days we don't talk. And sometimes I have nothing to say on the phone, even when I haven't talked to them in three days! But in this day and age with long-distance calling costs not even an issue like they were when we were kids, it just seems like the right thing to do.

>> I had a nice little spiritual 'uplift' last Friday. There's a 24-hour chapel at my church, which is also, you may remember, AJ's new school. My office closes early on Fridays, and I happened to be near the church. Something led me to go to the chapel. I don't know why I thought of it. "Just for 15 minutes," I told myself... “"to kill time until this appointment I have." (I thought of Jennifer – WWJD! What would Jennifer do? She'll be embarrassed by that, but reading her blog blessed me in that little way.) So I did. I went in and said a (scatterbrained, unfocused) prayer. Then I realized: I could go there every Friday once school starts, to wait for school to let out at 3:00. What an easy, subtle way to be a good example of faithfulness to AJ. And what a nice way for me to unwind. Connect. Pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that post of Linda's was lovely. This was lovely, too: a glimpse into your gratitude.

Stopping by the chapel sounds so refreshing... what a great way to spend those 15 minutes.

nicole said...

Lovely.