Wednesday, March 18

It's Day 3

The news continues: more cases reported in Georgia, every state now reporting at least one. Several states have closed restaurants/bars and entertainment venues. Ours hasn't; in fact, Shan told me she and her husband had decided to order food every day from a different local restaurant to try to help them out. Good idea, maybe, but I'd go broke and also gain 30 poounds if we did that.

I'm trying to eat the fresh things first, so leftovers and salads before making anything from the pantry. Because we are not having much luck buying groceries. We'd gone shopping last Friday, but there was no meat in the meat department. Still isn't. I picked up from Kroger yesterday and they didn't have any of the meat I'd ordered, not even canned chicken. WalMart said they had the product, but didn't have a pickup time available. I'm going to have to go there in person, I guess. Which is fine, but we just want to do the right thing and stay home as much as possible.

This morning I'm standing up at the kitchen counter for the first hour of work. The kids aren't up yet (they should be). My back is killing me from sitting in my unsupportive dining room chairs yesterday.

What we ate:
Breakfast - everyone was on his or her own yesterday, although I did bake banana bread late Monday.
Lunch - I made a plate of leftovers. Kate made herself mac and cheese, which is when I explained to her about eating fresh/leftovers first. She went, "Ohhhhhhhh." I think she got it.
Dinner - I thought I was going to make chicken enchiladas with some pre-cooked chicken I had in the fridge. But the chicken smelled bad, so it was black bean enchiladas instead. Pantry item, check. The enchilada sauce was too hot for Kate; Alex managed it. We also had some avocados that would have gone bad, so I made a really good guacamole... but we are out of Tostitos. Then, a stroke of brilliance! I made baked chips from some corn tortillas we had. They weren't great, but they scooped the guac adequately.

What we did:
School work for the kids. There was a 6th-grade math meltdown. Perfectly timed, too, while I was on a Skype call (my only one of the day yesterday, naturally). It got worked out, but there was also a Come To Jesus about me not being a teacher, but I will try to help you as best I can, and this is going to be strange and difficult for all of us, and your attitude needs to improve if we want to get through it. Sigh. I hated to have that talk, but it needed to be done. Someone does not take "help" very well. It was only the first (2nd) day! Gah.

Otherwise, I don't think we were particularly great about taking breaks and keeping a routine. I mean, I did... but I am trying to let the kids schedule themselves, and I don't think they did it right. Ha. Kate, I know, tried to do more than just one day's work - she wants to finish it early and then have free time. They both might have taken breaks yesterday, but they weren't mental health breaks, they were device breaks. So, an hour of work, and then a half hour of Tik Tok or reddit. Hrm. We might have to discuss that again. We did manage a trampoline session, and laughed a lot by trying not to laugh. ;) Best part of the day and the weather was perfect! Our neighbor's daughter came outside and she and Kate played for a few minutes. I was hesitant about letting her into the house (are we supposed to do that? not really, I don't think). I felt crazy to hesitate, but I did.

How we felt:
See above. We're trying to settle into all this, but there were a couple of hiccups and we're not quite there yet. I think Shawn feels nearly panicked about groceries. I don't feel like working; would much rather do long yoga videos and read my book ("World Without End," a gigantic novel by Ken Follett, perfect for a quarantine.)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Loved that book!