Tuesday, March 31

Pandemic Diaries, Week 3, Day 2

It's Week 3 at home. Who could have predicted this? It's crazy. I remain grateful; during Week 1 my password was about to expire, so I changed it and in it I use the phrase "work from home gift," becaue it really is one. I think the kids have settled in and found their schoolwork rhythm; I have, too... resigned to the fact that more than 7.0 hours of work is near-impossible, and that is OKAY. (I no longer count them up -- haven't at all, in fact, since this thing started.) Diligently working on the daily tasks, and actually grateful that there are new ones every day, like writing a COVID update email; someone's whim that we should post XYZ on social media; putting together a spreadsheet of gifts we can send our customers. It's good that even the pandemic is giving me some concrete tasks to do; I prefer them to nebulous "planning" and strategizing work.

Yesterday, though, our company announced temporary (I stress temporary) furloughs, and I was on the list. That's a stomach-sinking word, isn't it? Furlough. I remember when my dad changed his career and became a commercial airline pilot. There were, at that time, a lot of newer, start-up airlines. That was a blessing for him (the stalwarts like Delta wouldn't hire newbies like himself), and a curse, because just as soon as he'd get hired and trained, business would dive and they'd furlough employees... usually for good. I know it happened at least twice, maybe more. It didn't scare me as a tween too much, but there was some household uncertainty around that time, and I really feel for him, having to go through that. Probably wondering what he'd gotten himself and his family into.

And now here I am: starting next Monday, which was the first day of our Spring Break, I'll be fuloughed for 2 weeks. There are a LOT of blessings in it: the company will sign us up for unemployment pay, we don't have to do anything (apparently); we keep our health insurance; it's only 2 weeks in April (and possibly May, but that isn't decided yet); we can use PTO days if we want, and continue getting our full salary (I haven't decided yet); we keep our jobs. And the silver lining is: A 2-week break. A luxury.

Will I use the time wisely (paint a room? finally organize my dad's oil business stuff?) or squander it, is the real question. Gosh it'll be tempting to absolutely laze around. Finish my 1,000-page book and start the Jodi Picoult I ordered and picked up, curbside, last week. Watch Mrs. Maisel 8 hours a day (why can't I get that series going? I want to love it). Day drink. LOL Look what I found at Publix, speaking of:

Watermelon Rose? You'd better believe I grabbed that and its friend, Peach Rose.


Of course everyone knows being lazy isn't good on a long-term basis, and I guess the kids will still have school work to do (minus Spring Break, of course). So we'll see. I haven't told them yet, and am trying to figure out how to do that gently.

Eating:
We're fine on food. Eating mostly the same that we always do. About to run out of chicken breasts. Tonight is Taco Tuesday, if I can run out and get a tomato (or I might not, it isn't that critical). Health-wise, I am trying to not eat all the breads this week; I'm feeling bloated and like none of my shorts fit, and it's hot enough for shorts.

Doing:
We binged a season of Survivor; that is some good entertainment. Shawn and I used to watch it 18 years ago, and there's a reason it's lasted that long. The kids, especially Kate, really got into it, and it was fun and funny to develop feelings about the players. I think the Amazing Race would also be fun, if I can convince her to try it with me (Shawn and I also loved that one back in the day).

We've also been working on puzzle #1, and the kids are actually patient enough to have spent a lot of time on it. Color me surprised!

Neighbor-wise, we've been okay. Adrianna has a kiddie 4-wheeler, and wants Kate to ride it with her, and that's been a hard NO. We watched her drive it around the corner yesterday and nearly tip it over - she was going pretty fast - and now is not the time for a potetntial emergency room visit, (!!!) so yeah. No no no no no no and I don't feel one bit bad about it.

Kate and I went to Target yesterday for some necessities (like shorts that fit, ugh) and saw a dude there who was legitimately scary. I think because of coronavirus, he was dressed head-to-toe in black, with a long SKIRT (like a priest's cassock), black gloves, a wide-brimmed black hat, and a black mask covering most of his face, like a burka. !!!! What the What? BIZARRE.

Feeling:
Huh. Well, yesterday's aforementioned stomach-drop started a whole new set of emotions for me. We've all been saying "we're in this together," and now suddenly I'm not just praying for other people whose finances will take a little hit. I've been sleeping well, I think, but having some complicated dreams. Last night I finally think I got a really good night's rest; I can tell because I woke up with no dream memories.

Counting down to vacation, now... hope you're all well! xx

3 comments:

suzanne day by day said...

Well, while furlough sounds scary and stressful, it certainly sounds like this is the best possible furlough situation. And you have SUCH a great attitude - what a good role model for your kids!

Sherry said...

I'm sorry about the furlough! I've been stressing and waking up in the early a.m., but I'm really trying for peace. I just did a mellow yoga, and I'm going to try to stretch out that feeling today.

Shannon said...

Sorry to hear about your furlough. I hope it is as limited as planned.