Tuesday, May 24

Ohhhh. Now I get it.

This past weekend, AJ got a bit sick. He had a fever when I picked him up from daycare on Friday, and that fever continued through the night and into most of Saturday, until he finally had a decent nap around 5:30pm. We had made a quick weekend trip to see his great-grandparents, and with all the extra people wanting to play with him, he just couldn't settle, y'know? Didn't want to miss the action... even though you could plainly see he was Dying For A Nap.

I have talked about fever before, but lordy mercy, was he hot! Despite me pouring Tylenol in him every 3 hours. Didn't have a clue what to do about his sleeping arrangements. When I'm sick, I get chilled and want to cuddle down under all the blankets and get to the part where the fever breaks and I sweat. But I didn't know if he was hot or cold. What to do? I guess he lived with the light blanket I left in his Pack-n-Play. Anyhow, by Saturday evening he was acting like himself again, which means he was zooming across the floor in his little walker thingy. Yay!

Last night, I cuddled my chilled self under my covers. I woke up sweaty, but still feel pretty oogy today. You couldn't pay me to eat, not because I'm sick to my tummy, I just don't feel like it.

So I guess maybe I shouldn't have tried So Dang Hard all day Saturday to get some food into my little one. I tried Cheerios, yogurt (his favorite), cereal, applesauce, juice.... he wanted none of it. Sorry 'bout that, kiddo. Now I get it. But where do you draw the line between feeding them to be sure they are getting some nutrition, and letting them go hungry? I guess they let you know if they get to "I'm starving" mode. At any rate, I will do better next time. Reminder to self: He's a person. A little one, but a person just like me.

No comments: