Wednesday, May 11

Zig Ziglar and Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

At the risk of sounding entirely too perky....
If anyone asks me, "How are you?" today, I'm going to respond, "Fine as frog's hair!" like my Uncle Paul always says, because it is one of my favorite expressions of his and always makes me smile.

The weather is gorgeous. By 2pm it will be entirely too hot at 82 degrees, but no matter, I will be inside at that time.

I am wearing a new shirt that I bought yesterday on a mad-dash lunch-hour spree, and I like it. It's so nice to have new clothes. Especially when they are $9.99.

The Amazing Race ended last night with a rousing 2-hour episode and a team worthy of winning... (except... DH and I are almost sure that the plane re-opening its doors to let Joyce and Uchenna on was a CBS scam. Planes just don't do that, I'm sorry. However, J & U overcame a whole lot of other obstacles -- flat tire, begging for money, hello! -- and they played a good game the entire time. So, woo-hoo! They deserved it.)

On my way to work this morning, I had the privilege of hearing a radio interview with none other than Zig Ziglar, who evidently has a new book out. Zig is a motivational speaker with a thick southern accent whose "See You At the Top" class I took way back in 1985. I was in the 6th grade. He's getting older, and you could tell by his corny jokes, like this one: Did you hear about the two holes in the ground?.......Well, well..... (Groan.) But he's still a stirring, enthusiastic guy. It was great to hear him. Several times, I laughed out loud. It's surprising how many things I still remember from his class! For example, that we shouldn't ever say, "I never got around to it." (To combat this, he handed out wooden coins imprinted with the words "Round Tuit" -- so no one in the class could claim they never got one. A round tuit. Get it? Get it?? Clever man.) He talked about never coming home after a rough day and "kicking the cat." Meaning, even if you're stressed or tired, don't take it out on other people (or innocent animals)! I don't remember loving the class at the time I took it (twice), but now, years later, I'm grateful for the experience. (I wish I still had my Tuit.)

At any rate, when the interview was over, Zig signed off by saying, "See you at the top!" which I thought was so cute! He kind-of snuck it in, last minute. Half the listeners didn't even catch it, I bet. But I did. It made me smile. His whole deal is being postiive, so that's going to be the goal. There's a lot of negativity in the world. And a lot in our household, sometimes -- we're too tired, or there's not enough money, or the baby isn't eating well, or work drains our energies. But: Today, let's be happy. OK? Ok. Cool.

No comments: