I just read a profound comment to the recent post on parenting methods,
at
a little pregnant.
"What those books taught me, finally, and what the women on the playground taught me, and the well meaning relations -- what they taught me was that they couldn't teach me much at all. Raising children is presented at first as a true-false test, then becomes multiple choice, until finally, far along, you realize it is an endless essay. No one knows anything."Perhaps this is why all of us parents are busily writing in our blogs.
3 comments:
"No one knows anything" about sums it up. All the well-meant advice may be interesting and anecdotal, but in the end, parenting a do-it-yourself project. The good news is that all the well-meaning advisors, even if they don't have real answers, are holding your hand; at least it's a journey we take together.
This is what I've recently decided about "the decision to have a child." I'm near 'bout sick of reading other people's opinions on how to make the decision and what to do when you and spouse disagree. And notice I said "near 'bout" -- I'd still love some psychological/spiritual genius to follow me around in life and tell me what to do. But I realize that no one can know what I know about my situation. No one knows about anyone else's situation. No one can do anything except encourage me to be a stronger person who knows myself better and is more able to make decisions and act on them. That's got to be true with parenting -- who else knows just what your child will eat, think, do? It sounds kind of lonely, but I suppose it's empowering, too.
It's definitely a balance between lonely and empowering. Very well put, CW. The astonishing amount of info available these days (I assume you're reading on the 'net) helps no one. You can just get sucked into the quagmire of opinions and well-meaning but anonymous advice. It's quicksand. Only you know you. Right on.
(Hey, if you find that genius to follow you around, send him my way, 'k?)
Post a Comment