Five days and counting.
Is it because we didn't take a vacation last year that we are craving it so badly this year? Last summer, we had to skip our beach week. AJ was due on July 9... so I timidly asked my doctor at the beginning of June... "I bet you're going to say I shouldn't go to the beach at the end of this month, right?" And he asked where I'd be going, and how far it was from the hospital (I suppose the "beach" at Atlanta's man-made lake island, about an hour away, would have been okay)... I sighed. "Destin... about 6 hours." He shook his head and poof! Vacation vanished. No one was more bummed than my husband, who felt perfectly fine. But he stuck it out here with his enlarged wife, knowing the rest of the fam was riding jetskis and soaking up sunscreen. He's so good to me.
Of course, AJ was born and the importance of a vacation at the beach seemed laughable in the face of such a tiny little miracle. :) We had a great summer.... well, it was a little difficult at night, I'll admit that.... and great. We welcomed him mightily to the world!
But this year, it is definitely time to vacate. Even AJ needs it. He had a rough day yesterday, and we couldn't figure out why. We were playing, all three of us, on the living room floor, and he'd be perfecty happy. Then without warning, he'd plop down on his bottom and start wailing! *tilts head questioningly* Huh? That happened in several instances. After he had his nighttime bath -- in the big tub (with non-skid frogs stuck to the bottom) so he had extra room to wiggle around! -- he seemed to feel better, but when it was time for bed, he unleashed a holy storm of tears again. Might have had something to do with the fact that I forced my finger into his mouth to remove the leaves and who-knows-what-else he'd found on the floor, before he swallowed them. Maybe.
Today, I'm working from home but I took him to daycare. I hope that means I will get a LOT accomplished for work. There is a lot on my to-do list. It feels all wrong, though, that he's 3 minutes down the street and not with me. But, sometimes we must sacrifice for the good of the team ...and the reward will be sweet on Friday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment