Friday, October 7

The disco in my life

Okay, this month's Blogging for Books has got me all conflicted. On the one hand I'm enthused, because the theme is "your personal relationship with a song." And, I mean, who doesn't have one of those? Songs are everywhere, songs are eternal, it's the perfect writing topic for the masses. But it's hard to pick just ONE song I have a relationship with. There are too many and some of them are too stupid. For starters, I can personally recall the day before I left my home and my high school boyfriend, bound for college -- singing Garth Brooks' "The Dance" all the way there, in my head. "Our lives are better left to chance... I coulda missed the pai-ai-ain, but I'da had to miss... The-uh-uh-uh..... Dance." (Sob, "Our Prom!!" I wailed inside.) Hindsight... quite the personal cliché. A little embarassing, but that's the memory that happens when I hear that one, these days.

There are certainly songs in my life that, in all seriousness, make me cry every time -- one is an insturmental lullaby by Bobby McFerrin that I heard early in my pregnancy with AJ, when I was vulnerable and overwhelmed with the whole idea of becoming a Mom. Its tenderness and innocence (the words are simply, "La-la-la-la-la,") spoke to the frightened child -- me -- who just needed comforting that day. The other is a sweet Amy Grant song about believing God's going to handle things, which: Sing to me of my faith and watch out -- I really get going.

I think I'd really prefer to talk about a happy song. One that makes me laugh, and is associated with one of the sweetest memories of my life. You can laugh when I tell you. Go on, I want you to: "It's A Miracle," by Barry Manilow.

The Story?...I'd been single for nearly 2 years, and had stopped "looking." That stage where you're all of a sudden Happy with Who You Are and you realize you don't NEED a capital-R Relationship to be fulfilled. I was there: working, succeeding, hanging out with friends, but not even that -- hanging out with myself, and FINE with it. And then, at work of all places, I met a guy. There had been one or two that I'd considered 'cute,' at the office, but all of a sudden, where did this one come from?? He blew me away at first glance. When I think about it now, I realize there is, in fact, a "type" that I am attracted to, and he's It. Big, sensitive eyes (some say Puppy Dog), clean hair, tall and thin, and a straight, perfect smile. And then, after we'd talked a couple of times, I was intrigued. He didn't attempt in any overt way to flirt with me. He was Nice. He was Casual and Genuine. He was friendly, but in a way that didn't make me wonder what he wanted, and I hadn't seen that in a LONG time.

So we played Professional for a few weeks, and then, the Company Picnic. I went. He went. We chatted over ice cream, with co-workers looking on and raising their eyebrows, unbeknownst to us. When we drove away separately, I did watch his car go down the highway and note to myself, "He is a very nice guy. I wouldn't mind a date with him, even."

The very next day I was in his part of the building for a meeting. I stopped by his desk since now we were officially friends, just to exchange small talk and see his smile. My stomach was starting to feel a bit fluttery around him. He Very Casually asked me if I'd like to have lunch Wednesday. I mean, it was such a subtle invitation, I almost didn't even catch it -- y'know how coworkers team up for lunch? You going? We're going? *shrug* It was almost like that. But, as I walked away, I realized he meant "Would you like to go to lunch with ME?" and in my mind I started thinking, "It's a miracle: A guy that I'm actually attracted to, and enjoy talking with, has just asked me out!" And then, before I could stop it and thanks to a childhood full of the Barry Manilow 8-track, "It's a Miracle" started playing in my head. I practically danced down the stairs, a goofy smile oozing out of me. Not kidding.

"...And baby, there'll be
Dancin in the streets!
For the miracle
A true blue spectacle
The miracle is you!"

Perhaps you don't know this song. You're missing out -- it's disco to the Nth. And it's AWESOME. With background "doot-doot-doos" and everything. Not one of Manilow's lovey ballads, but a dance hit. 'Cause you know Manilow was a dancin' machine. (And so am I, naturally. Ahem.) It's too cheesy for words, that song -- I thought so even as it was spinning in my brain that day. But it made me laugh, too, that my heart wanted to sing a song like that, just because of a little lunch invitation. Surely you've guessed that The Guy ended up being my husband. So, that's the song that started it all for me. When I hear it, I remember the heart racing, spring-in-my-step feeling of everything being new, and... um... true-blue... and spectacular.

7 comments:

Humour and last laugh said...

interesting!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the grins and chuckles on a rainy monday morning.

Anonymous said...

Barry is the soundtrack of choice for all sappy romantic events; thank you for sharing that gospel truth with your readers, who are the future of the Fanilow Fan Club...

Please, keep on spreading the great cheesiness of Barry on this sandwich we call life!

See you @ the Copa Cabana!

el-e-e said...

I know who you are, fanilow! :) And a-ayyy-men to ya!

Lilly said...

Great story! Of course, now that you married him, you are stuck with a Manilow soundtrack ;)

SlackerMom said...

I admit it, I love Barry Manilow. I saw him in concert once and had several of his tapes growing up (I'm sure we had an 8-track, too!). "Miracle" is a totally cheesy song but it's so catchy! And dancy! It's not even as cheesy as "Mandy"!

Great story. That reminds me of the song that I relate to the time when I met my husband. I'll have to write a post on it!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I commented yesterday and it didn't work. I just had to add that I used to have this Barry Manilow soundtrack in my head constantly. I'm serious. All the sudden, I'd find myself singing, "I write the songs that make the whole world sing ...." It was actually quite annoying. Anyway, great meeting-love-o-your-life story.