Monday, October 31

Fat American Consumer

In other news, I can't decide if I'm going to slap down the $25 for a full year's membership to BJ's, our friendly neighborhood warehouse store, or if I'm going to let my trial membership die a peaceful death. On the one hand, I won't have to buy deodorant for the next YEAR, because I needed some yesterday and I got a 6-pack for $6.99. And I think those places are handy for your Gotta-Have staples, like toilet paper and Lysol wipes and Hot Pockets (shut up). And maybe, in the long run, it'll save me some dollars.

But it isn't like I live 60 miles from the nearest town. No need to stock up on supplies 'cause the long winter's ahead and Pa's leg is broke. I live in metro Atlanta. It might get down to 32 a few times this winter. And Publix is exactly 3.6 minutes from my door.

So, I dunno. Something about shopping there at the warehouse with its super-size boxes of Everything makes me feel fat and duped (e.g., "Welcome, Mrs. Middle-Class American! Just by being here you're saving money! Try a mini-quiche." ...When anyone with a brain can see that the impulse is to SPEND more, because: "Look at this Deal! And That Deal! Must Buy! When normally I wouldn't! Buy! Buy!").

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will help with your dilemma:
www.jibjab.com (the "Big Box Mart" video)

(Altho' according to Sunday's AJC, my hero Clark "Pack a Punch in Your Wallet" Howard is Costco's biggest fan...)

love & kitkats,
Barry Fanilow

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will help with your dilemma:
www.jibjab.com (the "Big Box Mart" video)

(Altho' according to Sunday's AJC, my hero Clark "Pack a Punch in Your Wallet" Howard is Costco's biggest fan...)

love & kitkats,
Barry Fanilow

Anonymous said...

I have to stay away from those places. Any savings I make on things get eaten up by the sheer volume of stuff that I buy that I wouldn't even have thought of if I hadn't been cruisin' the aisles of Sam's.

Only time I go is to get supplies for church. Even then I have to hold my breath and shut my eyes.....