Friday, November 18

I'm a turkey

In anticipation of next week's feasting, I thought I'd preview my blessings. But instead of reflecting on what has been, here's what I'm looking forward to. And by that, I mean the food:
  • Deviled Eggs!!! Lurrrrrvh them. (Probably the only thing that I can help my mother-in-law make)
  • Ham rolls for breakfast
  • That is, real live Homemade yeast rolls, you understand. How many people get those anymore? It's a treat!
  • Cranberry Jelly. Ocean Spray, with the can's ridges imprinted.
  • Homemade cookies galore. And she does make the best cookies.
And these are the things I will miss, since my feet won't be underneath my own Mommy's table:
  • Pumpkin soup. Oh, how I love my mom's pumpkin soup. It's not a childhood tradition, but just in the last few years she's made it, and it is divine. Thick, creamy, spicy. Maybe I'll make it early next week before we leave town.
  • Cajun dressing and the post-feast dressing sandwiches. (But at least there's Christmas to look forward to; we make it then, too!)
  • Cold White Zin. Dad's always forthcoming with the wine on major holidays.
  • Dozens of relatives around the table. It's the one thing that doesn't feel normal to me, when we're not in Pensacola. The table is small and there are just 6 of us. Not that it's a bad thing to have an "intimate setting;" it's less sink-time washing china and silver, that's for sure! But growing up I don't think we ever had Thanksgiving with fewer than 12 attendees. Everything's just so festive when there's a crowd.
Time to snap back into this week, for now, and eat my morning pop-tart. Gobble, gobble.

No comments: