Not to worry, there is no actual poo-poo in this story, it's just that AJ has taken to talking about it. It's very funny. It usually occurs as he wakes up -- he blinks a few times and then lets us know a Very Important Thing: "Pew-pew?" Like a question, but also a statement. He screws up his face and works his little mouth around the new words, and he's really TRYING to communicate. It is SO. CUTE. The weird part is that there usually isn't, in fact, any poo-poo. But he's patting his bottom, so he evidently knows that of which he speaks... or at least, where it lives... It makes me laugh and then frightens me a little. Is this a sign he's on the advanced track toward Potty Training? I know he's not ready yet, but 18 months is supposedly when you can start thinking about it, and that's not very far away. And he's also showing lots of interest in flushing the potty lately. He doesn't so much care what's in it, but today he did look at the empty, clean potty, and say, "Pew-pew?" Yes, honey, that's where poo-poo goes. (MY LORD, is this what it has come to?? ...Yes, yes, I guess it is... This is Real Life Mit Toddler. Enjoy!) Next thing you know I'll have to buy that red book. You know, the one my sister and I used to giggle about mightily when we were 8 and 10, because we were born in the era BEFORE that book and it seemed so utterly nonsensical. I have to admit, I fear Potty Training a little bit.
*pause while I consider the fear*
Moving on!
--I'm coveting. I want new Clothes and new Stuff, including the Most Adorable Quilted Christmas Stockings from Pottery Barn Kids (I'm going to order 4 and leave one without a monogram for -- gasp! -- a future child! So we will all match, someday. Is that crazy? I'm sure it's asking for trouble but I Have to order it, don't I?) Pottery Barn Kids, why do you mock me so? I'd like something on every page, please. Well, except the Very Pretentious Decorator Kids' Rooms. Those are a bit out of control with their matching painted wood drawers and handy-but-stylish monogrammed cubby baskets, and little retro multiplication flash cards pinned to a cork board, and smart blue gingham valances. Sigh. I love these rooms but I just don't think they're very realistic. At least not in my reality. My reality seems to be a lot more plastic than Pottery Barn's.
--After 2 weeks "off," I got up to workout this morning with my pal, Gilad. That man is out of his gourd and mostly creepy. I wouldn't want to be one of his minions-in-leotards, pumping and kicking and Smiling behind him. Blech. But he does a pretty kickass workout. My body is headed toward sculpture-dom, woo hoo!
--I now have $138.42 in credit at the Book Nook. (Local used bookstore.) I LOVE me a good local used bookstore. Didn't have time or energy to fight AJ and really browse today, so we came home with a Barney Little Golden Book and a Baby Mickey something kind of book. He is in love with both of them. But, $138!! When am I going to find time to read that many books?! Who knows. But it's a nice feeling, anyway. Something for FREE! And I got rid of the books that had been sitting in my coat closet these past 16 months. They were going to be a "while on maternity leave" project. Ahem.
Ooh, and the book clerk gave me a sorta backhanded compliment while checking my trade-ins. He said, "Did you read all these books? Because they're all pretty.... literary. Usually when we see Moms come in with kids..." and I knew he was going to say something rude about my fellow mommies and Romance novels, so I Laughed Politely to stop the comment before it happened. Because who are we to judge what people like to read?! Those mommies probably need to escape to somewhere that has Fire and Passion, so I say good for them (and also, gaaaack, SO not my taste). But anyway, I'm Literary, isn't that nice? I guess it's good he took note of me, because I will be spending lots of time and $138 free dollars in there.
--Ginger the Neighbor Dog (who is forced to live outdoors, poor thing) has Not Stopped Barking for the past hour. This is Not one of the nice things about Working From Home.
--Only 12 days until the U2 concert, and we Have Procured a Babysitter. Score.
Edited to add: I have now
No comments:
Post a Comment