Tuesday, April 4

He's not angelic all the time

I want to clarify one thing from my post yesterday about our dinner with friends; AJ behaved like an angel and I was quite proud of myself, as you may have noticed. *wink* Please know that he is not always eternally fabulous, and I fully admit it. There are mealtimes at our house where he squirms and wiggles and WILL NOT sit down in his high chair, and WILL NOT EAT, EITHER, thankyouverymuch, and refuses to cooperate or shut up for one minute with the fussing. Just so we're clear. I have no delusions that AJ is better than anyone else's kid. Hope it didn't come out that way.

With that said, I do have to tell you about yesterday's sacramental moment, where he was EVERY BIT the angel. It was about 6:30pm, and I was anxious for DH to get home because I had committed to sing at a quick church service at 7:00. So I stepped outside to look for his car (because if you watch for it actively, you can WILL it to arrive), and AJ stepped out with me. He made his way decidedly toward the swing and I indulged him. It being the 2nd day of Daylight Savings, the evening light was just right; plus the breeze had died down, the birds were chirping, and AJ was pointing out every car that went by -- one of his latest crazes is "Dars!" and "Duts!" (trucks) -- and then, he got tickled about something. The kid laughed like he'd never laughed before, so hard he couldn't catch his breath, and it was heaven for me to watch him. Back and forth on his swing, kicking his feet, throwing his head back -- it lasted a good ten minutes. Beauty unfettered, I tell you, and pure, pure happiness.

This morning I heard a song on the Christian radio station that said, "I am in the sun, I am in the shade, I am in the Light Love has made." That's the Light we bathed in, that very one. God-filled. Glorious. I'm humbled to have witnessed it.

No comments: