Wednesday, June 7

A day in the life

Remember, we did this in April? Invented by Sheryl, my content supplier. Seems every fun thing I find can be attributed to her! So without further adieu, my (yester)day:

June 6

5:50 am
Woke up ten minutes early to begin getting us all ready to get out the door early so DH and I could get to his colonoscopy appointment in midtown by 7:30. AJ actually woke up in a very pleasant mood (asking for "Cheh-joos [in] a bowl" first thing). We made it out the door on time!

7:40 am
DH whisked away for his procedure and I wave bye-bye. I've been waiting to sit here uninterrupted for 2 hours and dive into my book, because I can't wait to finish it before hosting Book Club tonight.

9:00 am
Tears sting my eyes as I read the last few pages. And no tissues to be found in my purse or the waiting room. I know people are looking at me. Crap! Stop it, tears! Heh, heh. GOOD BOOK.

9:15 am
Go back to DH's recovery area and listen to him mumble as the anesthesia wears off. Laugh 'cause we have the same dialogue twice -- he doesn't remember. The nurse tells me that they biopsied a lot of places in the intestine, and all of a sudden I think to get nervous because "biopsy" is sometimes a scary word. Selfish me, didn't even think about a negative possible result... should I have? Silently say the quickest prayer for good results. But not too worried, really.

9:30 am
Doc comes in, tells us (me) he looks great inside. Yay. I really like his gastroenterologist. DH is coming to now, so we get him dressed and head out to pick up some food (he hasn't eaten, as instructed, since noon the day before, and I haven't had b'fast so we're both starved).

10:15 am
Since he was such a good little patient, we stop at Best Buy. DH buys a movie and a video game, and I get a little treat for myself, as well. Best Buy on a weekday morning, without the Saturday masses? Very Cool. Then off to Sonic 'cause DH wants burgers and Cherry-Limeades. Yum! (I swear to myself after this, no "bad" food 'til after the Beach. Ha.)

11:30 am
We sit down at home, I open up the laptop and start my work-at-home day. Meanwhile, DH revs up the DVD player and relaxes, as he deserves. It is kinda hard to resist joining him -- the lights are off in the den, there's a cozy blanket on the couch... a nap would feel mighty nice... but I resist.

2:00 pm
Still working, checking web sites and taking 1 phone call. Make marinade for london broil, and put the meat in. Mmmm.

4:00 pm
Time to pick up AJ from dayare. He is standing at the glass door of his classroom when I get there and starts banging on it, The Graduate-style. It's very cute.

4:30 pm
Run through the bank drive-through, and head home. Let AJ watch 1 hour of his movies (Chip-n-Dale and Goofy on DVD). Now starts my stress-fest, since I'm having folks over. I make an appetizer dip, then stop. No one's coming 'til 7, Self, just relax. Then I make some tea. Then stop again. I have time, no need to freak out. Then I remember the downstairs bathroom hasn't been cleaned, eek! Get on hands and knees. Scrub. DH plays with AJ and I keep going in there to remind myself, It's just 4 people, no biggie. None of my food takes a long time to prepare. Then I remember I should peel potatoes and get them going so AJ can have some for his dinner, too. It's so funny -- I can tell myself not to worry about hosting a party, but it's in my GENES to get a little wigged out. I only snapped at DH once, I think, the whole evening, but my mood was definitely FOCUSED, no-time-to-have-fun, don't-bother-me-I'm-PLANNING. I did go outside and pick the last gardenia blossom and put it in water. So pretty! I didn't even know I had gardenias 'til this year! (Yay for DH cutting down the tree that was blocking them from the sun!)

7:00 pm
Everything's set out and it's time for the guests to arrive. AJ's been fed (not "AJ's eaten," but "been fed," much to my frustration as usual). Grill is turned on. Wine is open. Apps are out. Table's set. I'm ready.

7:30 pm - 10:30 om
Girl-time! We chatter while I let DH do the work of grilling, then bathing/reading to AJ. Ha! Everyone is impressed by this! The steak was a PERFECT medium, we had a great discussion -- even managed to talk about the book this time -- wine poured, dessert shared, and we wrap up about 10:15. Then I start cleaning up and am left with my thoughts, which is no good because the old self-esteem monster comes in my head to tell me no one really liked the meal, that cake was too dry, they probably didn't have as much fun as we do at Stacy's house, I'm not that great of a hostess... Stupid. Why do I let myself think that way? Everyone was perfectly nice and there was laughter, it was enjoyable, people licked their plates clean! Whatever. I close up the kitchen by setting the dishwasher to start in 1 hour. Then I reconsider, and set it to start right away, so I get to hear that satisfying "swoosh" of water, telling me I accomplished a dinner party, and the day is now officially over. That's a nice feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to comment on blogger for two days!

Finally.

Sounds like a wonderful Book Club meeting. Now I'm hungry for steak and wine.