Friday, June 16

Please tip your waitresses, I'll be here all eternity

You remember that Depeche Mode song called "Blasphemous Rumors?" The refrain went,

I don't wanna start
any blasphemous rumors,
But I think that God
has a sick sense of humor
and when I die, I expect
to find Him laughing...


I always felt a bit sacreligious listening to that song but had to admit it was one of my favorites of theirs, because I DO think sometimes God has a sense of humor (and also it is a very singable tune). This week I had a revelation about that -- not to mention I actually heard the song on the TV music channel! I am being chuckled at from Heaven (and I'm okay with it). To wit:

What's the one thing I want more than anything in the world? Right, to stay home with my boy. And how can I be super-sure that God has listened to and answered that prayer? AJ's been sick one day per week, these last four weeks. I've been forced to saty home with him. Heh. Not quite the way I wanted to be answered, but I've been told my whole life God's got his own way of answering prayers. Funny, huh? I am a tiny bit grateful for the gift of all that time with AJ, but I also wish he'd get well already. Thank you, God, for the lesson, and now please commence with the merciful healing.

A 2nd funny example of God talking to me: Of course one thing that would make it possible for me to stay home is more moo-lah. I try never to pray for money (tsk, tsk, it's SUCH bad form)! But God knows what's on my heart, and every time I say "If it's your will, let it be," he probably hears a tinge of "Sure wish we had more money money money."

THEREFORE! In another stinging little joke, as He's taught AJ to talk, God has also infused in him a LOVE of MOVIES. AJ will ask all day can he watch his movies movies movies. And I get slightly irritated. Except you know how he pronounces it? You betcha: "Wat money money money."

Hahahahahaha. I get it, God. Thank you again. Lesson received. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha. This is a great post. When I actually listen for God (not NEARLY as often as I'd like), I hear from him in these tiny, very specific ways. Nothing earth-shattering, but little answers. And I agree about the Frescata.