Thursday, February 22

Doing

Everybody seems to be DOING something. I have pregnant friends, friends who are cleaning out their houses, friends who are planning weddings, looking at new houses, friends who are starting blogs, friends who are moving... I just feel stuck. I'm sitting here and not DOING or PLANNING anything. Waiting for something, but I don't know what. I talked to my friend Cantus the other day and she asked, "What's been going on with y'all?" I couldn't think of one single. damn. thing. We work, we come home. We feed the kid, we watch Lost and the Amazing Race. On weekends, we sleep quite a bit. Geezus, that's depressing.

It has a little to do with DH's job. He's kind-of in limbo, waiting for something that 'might' happen, but isn't certain. If it did, it might set off a whole set of THINGS. But he's been waiting for this something for 2 years now. I'm tired of it. Of stewing in this same grey dishwater. The endless loop. It might... oh, not now... oh, maybe in a month... oh, they say it's coming... (where'd it go?)... we'll see. It might.

It makes me want to... go spend a lot of money, just because it's something. And heaven knows I don't need to do that. We ARE planning to have a big old yard sale in the spring... maybe I need to start planning it. Or... and this has been on my to-do list forever, I probably need to schedule the siding replacement for the 2nd half of the house. Ugh. Not to mention getting our entire HVAC system in the house replaced. It's OLD. I'm praying it can withstand another summer (we had a service guy out a year or two ago and he said it might not). But those things are not fun things, or interesting. (Why am I blogging about them?!)

Of course I desperately want to replace the cabinets in my kitchen, and have my master bath redone -- seriously, I should take pictures to show you JUST how ugly they are. My mother-in-law is getting new cabinets this week, actually. DOING.

Yesterday I gathered up all my tax stuff, so there's one thing. And, we did go to Chuck E. Cheese last weekend. I can't get excited about any of it, though. We have hockey tickets Saturday, AND a willing and available babysitter. Do I care? Not really. What's with me? I'm not depressed, I'm just... bored.

7 comments:

MaryB said...

Hang in there!

I can TOTALLY relate.

This is the first time we've ever been an any one place/house without alreay having a move planned if not already in the thick of one...I am feeling antsy and restless too.

I know something you can DO...Ill email you ;)

nicole said...

I have been there too. Too often, in fact. I don't have any helpful advice for pulling out of it, but talking about it usually helped me. good luck!

Anonymous said...

wanna trade? I think it would be perfect! I'm tired of all the DOING lately. I want to simply BE. Can we please switch for a while?

nicole said...

On a completely random note, I was rereading comments on one of my posts (is that weird?) and saw your comment on my running and you mentioned knee pain. I had a real problem with one knee when I started running, and was afraid it would keep me from moving forward (literally and figuratively). But then I got new shoes! I went to a real running store and the person working watched me walk and then had me try on several pairs of shoes. I have been relatively pain free since then. I also stretch more before and after a run and that has helped too.
sorry to hijack your comments, but i wanted to share that. And, maybe it will help with the blahs.

el-e-e said...

Excellent advice, and I, too, went to a real running store once. :) Used my shoes for running, for a while, too! So I'll have to do that again if I ever start back up.

I just got new shoes specific for aerobics/cross-training, which is what I'm doing lately. And I hope they'll help with the knees. I find that when I workout regularly, my knee pain subsides. So there's motivation for me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, truly a case of the grass is always greener here. But I do keep wanting things to slow down, wondering why I'm making changes, wondering if this crazy pace is the reason we (D and I) aren't enjoying each other as much as usual. Eek, I don't mean to complain. I'm happy and (today) I know I'm lucky. I'd like to spend three days -- or even one -- in rejuvenating bliss -- meditating, sleeping, taking a bath, strolling around, watching tv, sleeping. I could do it, too, if I didn't always feel the guilty push to DO!

But I do know that feeling of wanting to BUY. There's always something that can look better at home. A nicer floor. Nicer cabinets. Nicer yard. Nicer car. And Mom and Dad have been over lately, which means my list of things that need to be nicer has grown. They are more driven than I am!

Anyway, take it easy, girl! You're doing plenty!

Gina said...

My boredom turned into depression a week or more ago. I am okay now, but your paragraph number one is US TO THE T! I am always home or at work and that is it! Last weekend my hubs was gone working all of SAT and SUN so I stayed home because heaven knows I am not going in public with a 16 month old without the help of my husband. That just did me in. Good thing the weather is getting warmer.