Thirteen Great Things about Lent A small display of my faith tradition today. I realized the other night at Mass, I feel guilty and 'unworthy' a lot: Catholicism still works! Hee. I'm joking. Anyway, I guess I'm "giving up" Starbucks this year, just for tradition of giving up something. But there's more to Lent than that. Here are some of my favorite things. 13. Ya can't have Fat Tuesday without Ash Wednesday, and Fat Tuesday is pretty darn fun! We used to go to New Orleans when I was a kid. 12. Praying Lent by Creighton U. I think I've used it for 3 years now to help me with the *prayer* part of the season. 11. The Thursday between Ash Wednesday and that first Friday -- you get to eat whatever you want, no restrictions. It's somehow a "relief" that you get this one day in between. 10. Going through the OCIA program in Lent is very meaningful; I got to do it as a sponsor for a dear friend who was being confirmed one year 9. Friday Fish Fry! All over America. We should go to our parish one this year. 8. Also: peanut butter and jelly, anyone? YUM. 7. Stations of the Cross on Fridays of my childhood 6. Running into other people with ashes on their heads on Ash Wednesday. (At my college there was an interdenominational Ash Wednesday service; so lots of people were showing their Jesus-spirit on those days!) 5. Seeing boxes of Matzoh and Passover foods on display in the grocery store. A special little bond with our Jewish ancestors and friends. At least that's how I think of it. 4. Speaking of the Seder, in my (Catholic) elementary school we had a whole-school Passover Meal every year. Picture "dinner tables" in the school gym, lights dimmed, candles. It was mysterious and interesting, and we read the stories and ate PARSLEY (bitter herb). :) 3. The good feeling you get 2. We don't have to sing the gosh-dang Haugen MASS OF CREATION for six whole weeks! HALLELU….. I mean, oops. GLORY TO GOD for that! (No Celtic Alleluia, either!) 1. Learning that Lent isn't supposed to be an entire 6 weeks of misery, but a time to deepen your relationship with Christ and prepare for his most Blessed Passion and Resurrection Day (grown-up Lent! I'm still trying to get there)... |
a library of my thoughts on motherhood, family, working, and daily life. an attempt to know myself. (hello, self!).
Thursday, February 22
Thursday Thirteen #8 - Lent edition
I can't help it. I'm addicted to the Thursday Thirteen. And then I find out today this is the LAST Edition! Waaa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I remember those stations of the cross as well...nothing like Catholic grade school eh?
I like #1...the true meaning of lent.
My 13 is up.
Thursday Thirteen has come to an end.
I have enjoyed my visits here and consider us friends.
Thank you for sharing your thirteens with me.
The comments you left me filled me with glee.
It is hard to believe it is really true.
I am trying very hard to not be blue.
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy
Love love love this list. I am going to checkout your link to the praying Lent.
I have a friend who says that she enjoys fish and seafood so much that instead of "abstaining" she deems Fridays in Lent "Leftover Night" because that is an actual sacrifice. I kind of disagree with the sentiment, because I don't personally believe that it is about "sacrifice" or "being miserable." But, thought it was cute!
Interesting list! I didn't know exactly what you were talking about, so I did some Googling!
Thanks for visiting my picture TT.
See for me, not just are the matzohs a reminder of our tie to our Jewish roots, but, so too are the palms from which the ashes come.
There is a Jewish holiday, Sukkot, and one of the traditions is to "flagellate" oneself (ritually, not in a blood letting fashion) with a "lulav," which is made from fronds of myrtle, olive, and palm.
I wish I had been taught a different perspective on Lent (among other things) when I was growing up Catholic. I might still be practicing today....although I think my Jewish husband might have an issue with it!
Thanks for stopping by today! And, thanks for some Lent enlightenment! I'm not Jewish or Catholic, but it is nice to learn more about their practices! Hope you have a great day!!!
I forego Lent now, but I remember the days. Enjoyed your list, but so sad TT is over. It was my first edition...
Thanks for stopping by...
Great list !!! I love your pink blog ! ;-)
P.S. I'll be back... someday said that before... but who?
:-D
Thank you. As you know, I'm giving Lent a try for the first time this year, and it's nice to know more of the 'whys'.
Post a Comment