Wednesday, September 12

My decorating idea

Had a Brain Flash last night about possible decor for AJ's big-boy room! Am excited but need opinions.
  • Red or black comforter
  • Black tab-top valances, replace the default buttons with (or add) large yellow 4-hole buttons
  • Cut out and frame a couple of DH's old Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comic book pages, recently acquired from my in-laws' attic, with wide black mats in red frames
  • Paint a Mickey ears silhouette about 4 feet diameter in black chalkboard paint, down low on one wall
  • Maybe add one or two of these wall stickers
  • If only I could find these sheets in a queen size!
  • Commission my Aunt Kim to build and paint a Mickey and Friends growth chart/stick/thingie to hang on the wall...
Anyway.... ideas! I have always said I'll never decorate in "Disney" like the fanatics, but my kid loves his Mickey Mouse. Sleeps with him every night. And I'm thinking it's a very easy look to "grow up" just by painting over the chalkboard (that's easy to do, right?), and replacing Mickey with simple red and black things like lamps and accents.

Also, we're going to Disney world in November, so I can stock up on fun stuff maybe afford one or two items!

Whaddya think?

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I love the wall stickers...my sister swears by them because you can move them around or remove them w/o wall damage. Also ebay is a great place to find decor stuff.

Good luck...sounds like a fun project!

Madame Queen said...

What a cute idea!! I wish we weren't living in a rental house right now so I could do cute stuff to the kids'rooms.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, love it!

nicole said...

If he loves his Mickey, then I say go for it. Besides, you don't sound like you are going crazy with all Mickey on every surface. I especially like the chalkboard silohuette (i don't think i spelled that right) idea.

MaryB said...

Fun! What color for the walls?

Love chalkboard paint!

Does DH know you ar thinking of taking aprt some of his comics?

el-e-e said...

Heh, good question MB and yes, he does. These are ones he gave to AJ (read: not 'real' Marvel comics) so I think it's okay. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, fun! We've framed whole music sheets before (several pages), but it's expensive. Sounds great to me!

d e v a n said...

sounds fun! I'd probably go with a red bedspread over black, just because black seems to pick up everything!
Post pics when you're done!

Ya-Ya Ma said...

I love your ideas!! And AJ will love his room!

el-e-e said...

devan -- I actually found a red comforter at Tar-Zhay for cheap today. Good call, and WOO!