We tried desperately to baby-proof the house over Memorial Day weekend. I know that we're late doing this... was just reading advice from Baby Center.com, which said that when Baby is 6 months old, it's time. Oops. So we've put it off about 5 months longer than we should have. But we finally have latches on all the dangerous cabinets -- not every cabinet, mind you; I don't believe it cutting them off from all exploratory activity, and I think pots and pans make wonderful (cheap!) toys. We have installed netting along the spindles of our upstairs landing, so that AJ won't wiggle through the gaps and fall to his death. And we tried -- boy, did we ever try -- to hang gates at the top and the bottom of the staircase. Unfortunately, the gates gave us trouble. The first ones we bought required hardware to fasten them to the walls/bannisters, and I wasn't willing to ruin our woodwork. Sorry. We returned those, in exchange for these, which were too tall. Driving to Babies R Us a third time, we came home with what promised to be "the charm"... but these, alas, are not quite wide enough. We suck for not measuring. I will be buying the stinking extenders tonight, and then praying that we can make them work.
Meanwhile, AJ is climbing the stairs handily. And yesterday, he fell from them, onto the hardwood floor. Headfirst. I was sitting right there. (See: Title.) I was busy re-organizing the pile of books I've got shoved in my hall closet, getting them ready to go to the used bookstore (one of these days). I didn't even hear him fall over the rustle of paper bags. He hit his head pretty good. Thanks be to God, there wasn't blood or even a bruise. A little apple juice and some hugs, and he felt better. He must not have fallen from very far up (although I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I'M SUCH A TERRIBLE, INATTENTIVE MOTHER). He did get sleepy quite early last night, and woke up later than usual this morning, but I don't think he has a concussion, or if so, it must be extremely mild and he'll probably live. In the end, I'm sure I cried more than he did (I took a short drive later, and it all came flooding out).
I realize that kids are going to fall down, especially at this age. A co-worker told us last week, when I mentioned we were getting the gates for the stairs, "Oh, they all fall down the stairs." Not sure if that's true (horrors!), but I know I'm not the only Mommy this has happened to. I'm just ashamed of having been so busy with my own crap that I didn't watch him. Four-point-five seconds was all it took. To think what might have happened... it plays right into My Biggest Fear (see previous post). Anyway, God has given me another chance to be a decent mother. A chance that I will guard much more carefully in the future.
4 comments:
Interestingly, my neighbors were just telling "baby falling down stairs" stories last week. Here's a common one -- Dad picks up squawling baby in middle of the night and falls down stairs with baby. Another personal story: My nephew fell off some stairs without a railing to a concrete floor six feet below. Landed on his head. He's 27 now and apparently just fine. These stories go on and on. The human body must be pretty resilient, and you can't possibly watch your baby 24/7. I think you're a great Mommy!
Oh, thank you!! I needed to hear the concrete story. (But it still made me *cringe* -- ouch.) I am glad your nephew was OK!
Mine both fell down the stairs (after being solid walkers for YEARS). And off the bed/couch/changing table. And off of bikes/trikes. No broken bones or sprains or stitches, either! The Boy once even fell and hit his head SO HARD on a concrete pool deck that I felt the hit. Through the concrete. Didn't break the skin. Totally fine.
Holy cow, Misfit. I cannot imagine. I guess they really are made of rubber, THANK GOD!!!
Post a Comment