This clearly is not working. AJ's wailing through the monitor to let me know he Wants with a capital W, my Puh-Deeeeewwwwwww (computer). He alternates pitiful sobs with "Puhdeeeeewwww" and "Bye-byyyyyye?" Because I told him the puhdew was going bye-bye, and he was going to nap. So heartbreakingly cute. And yet, so everything opposite of cute.
I think the kitchen table arrangement is going to have to end forever. And it should have ended a long time ago, but I
I'm going to admit something -- I only use my baby gates (portable ones, not hard-mounted) at the staircases. I don't ever "gate" baby in, just to keep him contained. For me the gates were a critical measure of safety, but I didn't like the idea of building a "pen" where Baby would be "imprisoned." Silly Idealist Mommy. After these last two days (plus some months) of the whining and screaming, I think I'm going to try it. How many of you mommies out there do this? The baby-gate box shows a mommy who's perfectly happy to have her kids cordonned off, so that she can go about her day -- maybe it works?
I'm thinking I will position our 2 gates, 1 at the top of the stairs, obviously, and the other in the doorway to my bedroom. There's a tabletop in my room where I can set the laptop, and if I position it just right, he may not even see me using it (that is the goal, because if he does see it, he'll just whine at the gate and I've gained nothing). This leaves him his entire room, his bathroom, the guest room, and the area in front of my room which has a nice bookcase for him to
Do you think this might work? I'll totally go over the gate and play with him or rescue him, whenever. And I don't mean this is how we'll spend our entire day. It's just that he'll be kept away from the temptation that is the computer. I think leaving it out, where he can see it, is teasing him. "Mommy can use the computer any time, but you can't." Not that I think kids should be sheltered from the word "No," mind you. Or that kids should ever be given open access -- there are obviously things that are just for grown-ups. But this way seems a kinder approach. If it works everyone will be happier. And he'll grow up independent and self-assured and content. Right? :) We'll test it next Monday and see. (Of course I realize there will be somewhat of a learning period to get used to the arrangement.)
I am open to your suggestions.
2 comments:
L,
I read this post and I cannot help but respond. You did say you were open to suggestions...
But first, let me validate your stance on using your gates for safety. That's what I always used my gate for. Not that my oldest child would ever have tolerated containment, but that is ANOTHER story. I've worked from home for a long time and different things worked for me at various stages of my children's growth. Your idea of setting up a large area for exploration while you work in another room is a good one. The little one will be in a safe area and you'll be nearby. This worked for a friend of mine who not only worked from home, but was in the process of getting her master's degree while raising a toddler!
Now here is the suggestion part: are there any types of structured activities you can set up for your little guy while you continue to work in the kitchen? Is he still high-chair/booster seat agreeable? Because if he is, and you think he might be ready for things like colored pencils or, possibly, play-doh, that might keep him happy while you get some of your work done. If the issue is that he wants to play on the computer (I don't even know if he's old enough), then of course these ideas are no good. I just know that the kitchen is where I get 90% of my work--WORK work, not housework--done. It sounds like the kitchen is a favorite space for you, too, so I just thought I'd send those ideas your way.
Good luck with whatever you end up choosing to do,
An anonymous mom
Thanks very much! Yeah, my main trouble is the computer; he likes seeing what's on the screen and also "typing" -- just hitting whatever buttons make it go "bing." :) I'm dying for play-doh or markers to keep him occupied while I work, but so far, not a viable plan.
Post a Comment