Monday, January 30

The heart of the matter

I feel like I'm always tryyyyying to post something very important, very thoughtful. I'm not, really, it's just that the times when I'm emotionally bent are the times when I most need to get it all down and talk through my fingers. But not everything is a heart-wrenching Issue: (In fact, I just read this funny note about what we, the Internets, write in our blogs. Anti-history, heh.) Here are some of the more mundane things going on at the MySelf household at this moment in time.
  • I'm trying to drink more water today because I think my face looks, in general, like ash. (ha.) Seriously, ashy is the adjective of the day. It used to be the description of my highlights - "ash blond" - but now means something much less decorative and flattering. I look like I don't sleep enough. Fancy that... The gray in my face matches my current 'highlights,' which my Darling (DARLING) Husband continues to point out to me with a mirror and a wide-eyed expression. So, more water. Hopefully more glow. And next week: Hair appointment.
  • This week's dinner menu: Taco Salad; crock-pot lasagna; spicy fried chicken (frozen) w/baked sweet potatoes, and.... a couple other things. I'm feeling better about my cooking -- was in a real wasteland there for a few months, having a cupboard full of recipes I decided I hated. But I've researched, and sent out one of those chain-letter recipe exchange emails, and resurrected some old ones too.
  • Laundry continues to trip me up. I dried two of DH's polo shirts all the way today, instead of taking them out to air-dry after they've fluffed for about 15 minutes. (Why yes, this IS the definition of high-mai!)
  • Actually, it isn't: we watched MTV's True Life last night and the episode was called "I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder." These poor kids. Some really strange stuff going on there. What an affliction. I shouldn't joke about it anymore because those who live with it can truly be called sufferers. It was sad. One of the sufferers, a 23-year-old girl who was very aware that the rituals she did all the time (bending to touch the top stair every time she reached it, flipping light switches like mad, etc.) were unnecessary. She said she wasted so much time "tweaking out." I loved the expression in that context. Still, sad.
  • AJ's fourth haircut this weekend went much the same as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ones. And by that I mean, Loudly and Stickily (lollipop-used-as-calming-device, not so bright). Besides that, the woman (new) nearly balded him. Oy. I am going to attempt Haircut The 5th my own self. Although, with his hair so short in the back, he looks even more like his Daddy which makes me GRIN. So cute, the two of them together.
  • My only two living houseplants are finally dying. One of these plants, I have had since college. I am a killer of houseplants!
  • We bought a potty seat and some step-stools this weekend at Crazies R Us. AJ likes his "Pooh & Friends" potty seat (yes, that's its real name), but he isn't so sure about sitting on it just yet. He'd rather wear it around his neck. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm taking the time in the middle of a "work emergency" to read your blog -- but hey, can't be all work and no play! I could give you lots of compliments, on your hair, for instance, but I'll just say that I'm impressed that you still make an effort to see friends. Book clubs are cool. Also, I currently have NO houseplants -- well, there's the very large ficus tree. And a sad little aloe plant. I can't seem to grow anything in this house -- maybe not enough sun. But I'm trying to "enjoy the garden and ignore the weeds," as they say.

el-e-e said...

yah, mine that's dying its slow death is a big ficus. Who can't keep a ficus??? They're like, the easiest houseplant alive... or, not.