Monday, January 23

Untitled

It is raining, raining, raining. Has been since before I got out of bed this morning at six. The lowest part of our backyard is becoming a lake.

I'm a little chilly, but there's navy bean soup in the crock pot, making the house feel and smell awfully cozy.

AJ reached a milestone last night that we weren't expecting: He called out for DADDY, and only DADDY. I'd put him to bed per usual, and he let me sing one short lullaby to him before reaching for his blankies and snuggling down in his "child's pose" yoga position. I went back downstairs, settled in next to DH to watch the rest of the Seattle game and finish my book, when the monitor started screaming, "DA-DAH! DA-DAH!" We had to ask each other, "What kind of cry is that?" because it didn't sound familliar -- was kinda scared, kinda whiny, kinda raspy, but not his usual sound, nor his usual word, which is MAMA! He clearly wanted a particular parent, so DH went up to see what the deal was, and he reported ten minutes later that the little guy CLAMPED onto him with both arms and both legs. Like a magnet to the fridge. For a minute, he said, AJ's head was upright, eyes open, but soon he felt it fall to the side and the breathing became regular as he fell asleep.

I'm convinced he got scared about something, although I don't know what -- that's just what it sounded like to me. Glad he got over it pretty quickly. Perhaps a new era has begun, where Daddy is the big strong guy who can hold us when scary things like the dark or the rain or thunder threaten.

No comments: