Yesterday, she was a good day.
I dropped AJ off at 7:00am, ready to tackle my second day working at home without him, grateful for the impending 8 hours of Pure Silence ahead of me and an editing assignment, to boot. I didn't quite achieve Pure Silence -- the dogs, mine and the neighbor ones, must have been telling knock-knock jokes ALL DAY LONG.
"Arf! Arf!" says Ginger from the yard behind us.
"Mfph," replies Napoleon, from under my feet.
"Arf!" explains Ginger.
"Woowoowoowoo!" snap Tony, JD, and Jane, the three amigos on the other side of our house. (They'd heard this one before, perhaps?)
"Arf! Arf, aarf!" concludes Ginger, and then, "Aroo? Arrrroo?" from the whiney puppy who's just moved in next door (and is often relegated to the screened-in porch, where she gets lonely... She can go on like this for hours, "Arooo?" Poor thing.).
"Well (understood), Mpfh," grunts unimpressed Napoleon. "Mfpfh." Grumpy Old Man-Dog.
So anyway, with all that going on, it was kinda hard to get my head around the admission policies of yet another college; however, I was impressed that I kept focused on it much longer than the time I spent ripping CDs to iTunes. And I only got up a few times to get a drink or a snack. I worked through lunch. I didn't dilly-dally by doing laundry, either. No personal phone calls. I impressed myself with such a devoted-employee work ethic. (Mpfh.)
I also took 25 minutes or so to workout with Denise on Lifetime. The launch of my 6-month countdown to Beach Week '06 and toned thighs (or at least non-saggy ones). Hello, swimsuit.
At 2:50 I tidied up the kitchen, pulled on my shoes and jumped in the car, eager to get my little boy. His playtime report was marked "Happy (check) and Active (check)." Good Day! We giggled while getting into the carseat. A rare treat. We sat outside on the back deck for a bit, enjoying 70 degrees Fahrenheit, thank you, Georgia. AJ loves to sit in the big-boy chairs -- like a little adult, he invites me to sit with him and just wants to visit. :)
Around 4, my newest mommy-friend came over with her son, Matty. She's a fellow chorister, and sweet and humble and good-hearted. Always has something nice to say about everyone. Borders near the high end of Pollyanna, but isn't overly bubbly or smiley -- just cool. Pleasant. She even told me I am kind, and somehow in a grand hyperbole the word "holy" got thrown in there, at which I Guffawed. SOOO not holy. (But what a compliment. Good day!)
Matty's about 2 months older than AJ, and the two of them played (separately) well together. -- Aside: It's so funny that kids this age still just want to explore on their own. No collaboration, unless it's to fight over who had Elmo first. And then, in a year or two, they'll be secretly plotting our demise together, giggling and sharing. Awww. -- Only one "Oops" for the entire day, and that was when Matty decided that the little bowl of Cheerios they were sharing should be scattered onto my living room floor. Absolutely "No Damage Done," as my Grandmother used to always say, but as we began picking them up ("Okay, who wants to help clean up? Let's put aaaallll the Cheerios back! Cheerful! Happy!), IDIOT ME set my 3/4-full glass of Coca-Cola AT KID LEVEL. It was impulse, I just set it there while I bent over.... Well, LEVEL it, Matty did. Swiped it with his long arm. More sad was I to lose all that refreshing beverage than to sully my (brand-new) carpet -- and of course, Kat was 110% embarrassed, but once again, no real Damage done. "We have OxyClean," I told her calmly, and berated myself for doing something so dumb! When you have kids, HELLO, you don't set a Coke down at their level!?!? And if you do, you get what's coming to you(r carpet).
Kat and Matty left an hour later -- just the right time, knowing instinctively, I guess, that I was about to start fretting over how to get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour if they didn't leave. I like that in a friend -- knowing how long to stay. It's a delicate skill.
At 7:00pm we ate spaghetti dinner and garlic bread, and AJ didn't put it in his hair, and we talked and laughed, Conver-sat-ing. (The TV was off and no one even noticed!) Then AJ had a fun bathtime, and only mildly screeched when I tried to dress him -- the little boys, they like the nekkid! -- and he went RIGHT to sleep and husband and I got to watch Project Runway, with impeccable Heidi Klum (girl-crush)... And like this paragraph, the relaxing portion of our evening seemed hurried and unfinished... but, dear Internet, I ask you gratefully and somewhat out-of-breath, what could be better than that day? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment