I suppose I should tell you alllll about our trip to Asheville, NC, and the 2 days of what-seemed-like major frivoloty that accompanied. I, for one, spent a good deal of time dreaming of what it would've been like as a Rich Friend of the Vanderbilts, back in 1899. (Hint: It would have been KICK-ASS. To be invited to their "winter home"? For, oh, let's say a few weeks? And stay in one of their 35 guest rooms? And ring the bell for a chamber maid to bring breakfast? And do nothing but Be Pretty and tote my parasol around the gardens? Sounds like My Kind Of Nirvana. A'course, I would have been barred from playing billiards with the men, but... meh. Nothing a few hours of uninterupted reading -- and a 6 course dinner -- couldn't cure.)
It was very refreshing to step away from our world and slow things down for a while. We didn't wake up 'til 8:00 or 8:30 am. We only had to dress OURSELVES. We drank beer one night, and wine the next. We dined at a restaurant with actual cloth napkins. We wandered around downtown with no agenda. On second thought really... the weekend WAS my Nirvana. 'Cause contrary to 1899, WE have air conditioning and ladies get to wear shorts and a t-shirt.
Edited to add: (I can't believe I forgot to say this but it must be a good sign) I *did* miss AJ a teensy bit. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment