Tuesday, June 6

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

I must write about this book, but I don't quite know what to write. I know that no review of mine will ever do it justice. I couldn't even completely wrestle out my thoughts for note-taking, which I tried desperately to do in the back, blank extra pages of my mass-market copy, so I'd remember some of its nuances and complexities. As if I'll ever forget.

It's the story, in case you don't know, of a Baptist missionary family - a preacher and his wife and 4 daughters - who travel to the Congo in the 1960s. Not my usual fare right there for starters, despite its being an Oprah Book, but WOW. My eyes are opened. More than the story of the family, it is the story of our WORLD -- our relationships with Africa and her countries, for good and for very bad, and the balance between all of the opposing forces. Nature vs. technology, have vs. have-not, black vs. white, our "God" vs. their mamba snake, husband vs. wife, democracy vs. other systems, "African-American" and what a contradiction the term sorta is... Communism as a possible good in the case of those starving native families.... it's a confusing, startling, wonderful book. It brought me to tears, and that is the best recommendation I can give to any story. Only a few novels bring me to tears (which is surprising, as much as I'm prone to crying!), so only they get put on my List of Favorites. This one belongs there, without a doubt.

I've wanted to read this book for years -- have seen it on bookstore tables, promising a literary lesson, but keeping many of its best secrets hidden. Finally, last month it was my turn to choose for Book Club, and I couldn't resist it any longer. I learned so much. I hesitantly want to ask my Mom to read it, because I want to know her views as someone who was around in the '60s. What did she know about Africa, at that time? And I want to hear her reactions to the book. (I say 'hesitant' because I'm not sure she'll love as much as I did. But then, that is the point of discussion great literature, yes?) I'm fairly certain my sister would like it, and eager to share it with her, too, as it is a story about sisters. I'm excited to host our meeting tonight, and see what my girlfriends have to say about it. I'm serving a marinated London Broil and Ranch Mashed Potaotes, as well as the requisite girly salad with feta and dried cranberries, and red wine. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that I am always ready for reading recs from you :) I look forward to it. Let me just say, I don't think I would waste my time on The Devil Wears Prada. I can NOT beleive I chose that for my book club...we all wanted something fun and fluffy for our first summer book....uugh what we got was not fun but BORING! I could see it actually being a better movie than a book.

Can I come to dinner and book club tonight?