The more I've been reading about potty training, including all of your kind advice, the more I'm convinced he's just not QUITE ready.
> Can he pull his pants up and down by himself? (Almost, but not quite.)
> Is he telling you when he has to go? (No, never.)
> Is he upset or uncomfortable when he has a wet or dirty diaper? (No, he doesn't care.)
So I am trying to just be patient. It's very hard. I think Hubby is a little more anxious than I am, and I absolutely don't fault him for it. I'm anxious, too. Our friends, whose daughter is 4 months younger, are all done with potty training, and I know it feels like we're "behind" now. (HA! the jokes are so easy!) I, personally, am really sick of diapers.
AJ's teachers say he does really well at school, and is dry nearly every time they check/change/potty him. So I'm taking that as a big success, and enough for the moment. I wish I could have a regular day, a Saturday or Sunday, to let him wear underpants and take him with me to the bathroom every 2 hours like clockwork. But we don't HAVE any long days that aren't punctuated with "We have to go to the store/car repair shop/church/friend's house." Weekends are when we have to get errands and socializing done. I feel like if I had a couple of long good days at home, then I could start to go every 2 hours with him no matter WHERE we are.
Argh. This is all SO uninteresting.
4 comments:
Anecdotal evidence suggests to me that girls train way sooner than boys. I have a friend who has a daughter the age of my firstborn son, and she was all "My pottytraining methods work so awesome!" and I was all hanging my head in shame--and then she had a boy and was in the same boat I'd been in. Our pediatrician says the average age for boys to START the pottytraining process is 3.
You will know when he is ready. I found once Sarah was trained, life actually feels harder now- we now HAVE to find bathrooms everywhere we go!!
Nodding and slapping my forehead with you. I actually put LB in panties one day and completely traumatized her. She pooped (and peed 5 times) and freaked out and begged for her diaper.
Good job, Mrs. Flinger. Duh.
I hear they'll let you know when they're read. I'll be in the corner counting the diaper bills.
I'm totally in agreement with the potty-savants above. The babies will let you know when they're ready. When it feels like they're trying to let you know, they are. Trust your parenting instinct--after all, it hasn't allowed you to leave him out in the elements to fend for himself yet, has it?
Post a Comment