Wednesday, April 4

Small Change update

Hey, friends, head over to Playgroup Dropout and see what people have been doing for others this month. I feel that since I display her banner, I should talk up Beth's great initiative. She resolved, and recruited us all, to do just a little bit, each month, to help people. Specifically, kids -- and who can resist helping kids?!

This past month's challenge was to maybe give up something that you normally take for granted -- like lunch out on Wednesdays, or take-out dinners, or your weekly margarita, and donate that money to charity. Even if it was only $15. "SMALL" Change, y'understand. It timed out just perfectly with Lent, and I had given up GrandeNonFatNoWhipToffeeNutLattes at Starbuck's toward that cause. (THREE DAYS LEFT!) I added it all up yesterday -- 2x a week, times 6 weeks, times $4.00... Well, I'll be darned, that's $50 to St. Jude's! I've always wanted to support them, so thanks, Beth, for pushing me to DO IT. (But DURN those commercials, Marlo Thomas! I cannot watch them with a mouse, I cannot watch them in a house.)

It does feel nice to share. I'm not good at charity. We give to the church, but it's not as much as we could give. And we don't do Habitat, or soup kitchens, or any of that. I know I need to learn how though, and teach kindness and help-others-ness to AJ someday. So I think this Small Change idea is a good way to start that. I will say that sharing from my MasterCard is a little less painful than out of my actual pocket, but since another of my recent initiatives is to pay that sucker off, maybe it will be okay, and appropriately sacrificial and good. :)

2 comments:

Swistle said...

I can't stand ANY commercials that want me to help children.

Love St. Jude's, though. Good place, and also they send me address labels and sometimes notepads. And, unfortunately, pictures of bald children, and plaintive little letters with fake post-its ("Can you help??") attached. I toss those out.

nicole said...

Okay, this has nothing to do with your post. Although, I did unwittingly participate in this challenge. I have given away every paycheck from my very part-time tutoring job. Has been a great stress reliever for me, somehow.
Anyway, on to the point. I just realized I never got the book Fall on Your Knees to you. So, drop me an email and I will get your info and mail it, if you still want it. My email is on my profile, I believe.
Happy Easter!