Monday, October 22

I can't: think of anything to say

i am: glad to have a day to work from home because we bathed Polie over the weekend and there is Dog. Hair. Everywhere.
i think: it is supposed to rain 3 days in a row this week (hooray!)
i know: we need it.
i have: a lot of things on the to-do list, including Book Club on Wednesday at my house. See "i am," above.
i hate: having feelings of dread about my office job, but sometimes I do.
i don’t: believe young mothers should have to travel for work, no matter how much a part of their job description it is, when there are perfectly capable SINGLE PEOPLE who can travel.
i can’t: think of anything to write for an "edgy" guest blog post at WorkIt, Mom.
i can: say I've successfully checked three things off my list already.
i will: RSVP (regrets) for a bridal shower and a Halloween party today.
i won’t: feel bad about regretting; I've got enough going on.
i forget: dumb things, like when I went to Publix yesterday and didn't get anything I'll need for the Book Club menu (2 different soups, fresh hearty bread, and a dessert).
i miss: having lots of free time to spend hanging out with my husband...
i fear: that it will only get worse come February.
i feel: mostly better -- my hacking cough is down to almost nothing.
i hear: good things about the Bumbo; do I need one?
i smell: Fresh Linen by Carpet Fresh. I sprinkled it on so now I HAVE to vacuum, once my neighbor, Mrs. Bumstead, returns our vacuum.
i crave: the chocolate Frosted Pop Tart in my pantry, just 3 feet away.
i wonder: How long I will resist?
i regret: that I let other peoples' bad moods define my own sometimes.
i love: my little family and our plain-jane weekends
i dream: of Jeanie.
i long: for a stretch of about 3 weeks off, just to get STUFF done. Also for a pedicure.
i care: entirely too much about how my house appears (outdated, not decorated) to some of my Book Club buddies
i always: try to shut this care up and just be a gracious hostess.
i am not: proud of it.
i believe: in Hope.
i smile: when AJ does his dance moves.
i laugh: (ed) when he asked me this weekend, "But why can't I have ALL the Skittles, Mama?"
i collect: dog hair, apparently, and I display it around my home.
i play: Triple-Berry Pies with my son, using a frisbee for a pie-plate and the top of an empty propane tank for an "oven." It's kind-of like mud-pies. Maybe you have to be there.
i write: poorly with a pen and have always disliked my handwriting.
i await: 2008
i cook: well enough that my husband, I think, is grateful, but I also cook: a lot of the same things.
i trust: that things will work out for the best in most situations.
i intend: to try, this week, to smile and be productive.
i search: for meaning in all the most ridiculous small places.
i look: like I could use a serious haircut. (Even AJ is telling me so, since he got HIS haircut last week.)
i shout: obscenities when I stub my toe.
i whisper: "I love you just the way you are," while AJ is sleeping.
i conquer: week after week, I guess.
i listen: to my mother.
i ignore: most of my desires for frivolous spending. Like, right now I really want new bathmats for every bathroom in my house. But do I buy them? Nooooo. Don't "need" 'em. This irritates me to no end.
i live: a very comfortable life, full of riches and happiness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so cool and creative. Thanks for the plug about mothers not traveling! Mom saw a baby in one of those Bumbos on the beach (I didn't know what she was talking about but now that I see the picture I'm sure that was it) and she said it was pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

Another thing -- having been to your house -- I just got the impression of big trees and coziness. That's all. Come check out my carpet sometime. Sigh.

MaryB said...

I have always loved your lovely handwriting.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, we collect dog hair, too! And we even display it on our couch, when nobody is home to tell Jake to GET DOWN.

Love the post!

Lauren said...

ooo! what a good post!

Couple of things:
What are y'all reading for book club? (though Im secretly more interested in the menu...)
Bumbo: I want one!! My SIL has one and loves it...seems like a good idea. Im also trying out a "Moses Basket" this time around (search the target website if you are curious). It's gotten rave reviews from the mommys I know.
Bathmats? I need them too...but they are expensive! $17?? crazy.

Anonymous said...

There is a lot to this post. A few things jump out at me -- I fully appreciate the "office dread" feeling; if I crave it, the thing doesn't last long in the kitchen; I really need some down time -- way, low down time -- too.

What -- you are doing a guest blog at Work It Mom? If so, let me know. You can even email me! I want to read it.

el-e-e said...

Lauren - we read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. maryb's recommendation, actually. It was great. I forgot to say that the soup menu will also include a lovely red wine, though not for me of course.

Sophie - WorkItMom is one of those online communities that makes me wish I had unlimited time to play/surf/read. Sigh. :) I'll let you know.