The great thing about avoiding online shopping is that when you finally do order something, you're GIDDY with anticipation of its arrival. I got a tracking number in my email this morning and it has put me in a really good mood. :)
I needed a lift, after listening to my iPod on the way to work. It shuffled over to the Indigo Girls, and I was reminded that I think the song "Power of Two" is one of the loveliest love songs ever written. It made my cry thinking about my sweet husband, (pardon my sappiness) especially the refrain that says, "So we're okay... we're fine..." I think marriages, even really good ones, need that little reminder every day. We're okay. :)
And once again: Horomones! All the crying, geez!
Speaking of... We've had 2 evenings now of screaming, kicking tantrums right at 7:00pm, leading to AJ's least favorite phrase: "Straight To Bed. No Stories." Last night the issue was a very simple request that the little monkey wash his hands after a dessert popsicle. (And the subsequent hitting of his mama that occurred when he got mad at me for insisting on the hand-washing.) WTF, dude?? It's water and soap, big whoop-dee-doo. Don't hit me.
The night before, hmm. I can't quite remember the issue. Oh, and what do you do when you say, "AJ, you can scream but you have to do it in your own room." And shut his door.... but he opens it right back up and comes out??
Installing a lock seems the logical choice, but "locking your child in his room" surely goes against modern parenting wisdom, yes?
I have found that letting him BE MAD and rage for about 5 minutes, and then offering to sit in the rocking chair with him calms his ass down to snuffling, hiccuping levels. But the door thing... I'm sort-of at a loss.
8 comments:
Oh! I love that sling. I love anything paisley. It almost, ALMOST, makes me want to have another just so I can have that precious sling. Boy are my priorities out of whack!!
I dunno. What happens when you say, "Back in your room, buddy. And if you come out before you're ready to be nice, you'll have to stay in longer ... or not get any popsicles ... or something!"
Power of Two is still my favorite song. Even though it was my favorite song when I was a painfully earnest college freshman and my tastes are totally different... LOVE THAT SONG.
maggie -- I know, it's so cliche, right?? :) But still... a great one.
I listened to "Power of Two" all the time when Paul and I were first dating, and I played it for him and thought of it as our romantic song--and LATER he said he HATED that song and wondered why I kept PLAYING it.
I don't know what to do about a door-opener, either. I'm dealing with my first ones now. (My first two kids never thought of doing it, the cute little dimmies.)
That is one cute sling. If I knew what I was having I would be tempted to buy one for us. As for the door, nothing to say. You could hold the door closed, but that punishes you too. Or you could tell him that everytime he comes out he has to go back in and stay longer, but he might not understand that. Be firm and have hope! I know I was no help whatsoever.
Every moment is a test with these little ones. I think, "Back in your room buddy," is a good start. If you ever figure out the exact right answer, e-mail me and let me know!!
I forgot all about that indigo girls song and I love it! Im going to go get it on itunes right now!!
Post a Comment