Alternate title: Shopping
Over the weekend, I was given a glorious gift from my husband: On Sunday, he took AJ and drove across town to his fraternity brother's house to watch a football game. With driving time and extra for socializing, that was nearly 6 hours all to MYSELF. And I got teary-eyed (horomones) when I was thanking him, because, my goodness, all the things I hoped accomplish in 6 hours! Without spending five minutes at every stop buckling or unbuckling the car seat! I was pretty humbled by the idea of it and so, so grateful. I even promised him I'd "work," when I totally could have gotten away with bon-bons and a book. He's nice like that.
I got a lot done. Started at Babies R Us and wandered the aisles, looking for 1) a black turtleneck for our Mickey costume (CHECK), a plain white maternity tee (CHECK), pretty diaper bags, and ideas for crib sheets and bumpers and valances. Although I recommended GETTING the comforter to a first-time mom recently (because they're only young once, and yeah, they don't use it but YOU might, while you're nursing in the rocking chair in the middle of the night), I'm wanting to resist the $199+ 4-piece baby bedding sets. I just don't feel like I want to spend that much, and I certainly don't want someone else spending that on me. I'd like to find something in lavender and sage green, maybe toile and/or gingham sheets. A dust ruffle, a bumper, I don't ask much.*
After that I hit JoAnn Fabrics and found big, white Mickey-pants buttons, and some elastic for securing his ears. Score! Under $6.00.
Then to Ulta where I made up the difference in makeup brushes. Holy Lord, my face better look GOOD. $28.00 to put on some powder. Wow.
After all this girly time I was starting to feel tired, but still right on the schedule I'd made for myself. I headed to Publix on the way home, and spent less than usual on the week's groceries. Plus muffin-baking ingredients. Yum!
Put my feet up for 20 minutes and watched that stupid Ed Burns movie which I have never loved but somehow feel compelled to try again, every time it's on. Jennifer Aniston and Cameron Diaz, so it has to be good, right? Wrong.
My name is Lee, I pressed on (HAR): 2 loads laundry! A bit of Big-Boy-Room prep taking down artwork and ... sob... throwing away several old purses that have collected in the bowels of that closet. Loose photos neatly placed in a photo storage box. Crappy old frames tossed. It was a day for productivity, my friends.
....And then it hit me. MY FEET ACHED. MY BACK ACHED. I was jittery. (Forgot to eat lunch.) Hello, duh, you are growing a human person, might wanna slow down with the heroic acts of STANDING UP so much. So I took a bath and slept like a rock.
Pretty amazing how you can wake up the next morning and all that hurt is all gone. (Thankfully!)
*Postlogue: Late last night I started shopping for baby bedding online and oh, my! You'd best just settle in with coffee, your reading glasses, and a MAP. Who knew the Baby Linens community was so massive? And I'm so timid about (opposed to, as a general rule) eBay. Aye-yi-yi.
Also shoppping for a sling/wrap. Fun! I think these are gorgeous. I want the red one, on sale, but it's not available in my size. Or, what I think is my size. There are so many variables that it's hard to do their handy equation.
6 comments:
Cool slings. It's funny you wrote about doing too much and being exhausted. That was my story this weekend. I literally lay on the floor last night while D worried about me and fixed supper (which put me in a MUCH better mood). Too much. Too much. And it's not even so much, compared to what I used to do. I hope you can get more of these times to yourself, and actually RELAX.
Lucky you! I have been perusing baby items at Etsy, looking for a quilt for my godson. So much out there!
Sounds like you were very productive
Wow! Sounds like amazing fun. Make up, baby things, and Publix. All my favorite things!
You should check consignment stores for baby bedding. I spent wayyy too much on Pottery Barn for Bubba (back when i HAD money) but got the cutest yellow and pink set for $25 at a consignment store.
Sounds like a perfect day! Glad you had a chance for some "me time."
How nice to have 6 full hours to yourself! Such a nice gift.
Good luck with all of the shopping. Baby bedding seems to be even more expensive than "adult" bedding!
Post a Comment