This is for posterity. I want to remember all the lullabies I ever sang to AJ. Don't bother reading it if you're not into lullabies. :)
Also wondering if any of you (besides my mom and sister) know any of these sweet songs.
Frog Went A'Courtin', which Grandmother (Mom's mom) sang to me:
Froggy went a'courtin' and he did ride, mm-mm.
Froggy went a'courtin' and he did ride,
A sword and pistol by his side, mm-mm.
He took Miss Mousie on bended knee, mm-mm.
He took Miss Mousie on bended knee,
Said, "Miss Mousie, will you marry me?" Mm-mm.
"Without my Uncle Rat's consent," said she...
"Without my Uncle Rat's consent I would not marry
The President," mm-mm.
Then Uncle Rat, he soon came home, mm-mm.
Then Uncle Rat, he soon came home.
"Who's been here since I've been gone?" mm-mm.
"A pretty little dandyman," said she.
"A pretty little dandyman
Who says he wants to marry me." Mm-mm.
"Where will the wedding breakfast be," mm-mm.
"Where will the wedding breakfast be?"
"Way down yonder, in a hollow tree." Mm-mm.
"What will the wedding breakfast be?" Mm-mm.
"What will the wedding breakfast be?"
"Three green beans and a black-eyed pea," mm-mm.
Then Uncle Rat gave his consent, mm-mm.
Then Uncle Rat gave his consent, and
That's the way the marriage went, mm-mm.
Froggy and Mousie went to France, mm-mm.
Froggy and Mousie went to France, and
That's the end of my romance, mm-mm.
The storybook sits on the shelf, mm-mm.
The storybook sits on the shelf,
If you want more, you'll have to read it yourself! Mm-mm.
In the Evening, which my Granny (Dad's mom) sang to me:
In the evening, when the daylight goes,
Little Flowers all begin to close.
Mama holds her little one
Quite close against her breast,
So that like the other Flowers,
He, too, may go to rest.
Angels, dear, hover near.
Watch o'er my darling boy tonight,
Stars so bright, shine your light.
Watch o'er my darling,
Keep him safe from fear.
The Angel Band/Harps of Gold (also from Granny)
"We come, we come
With our harps of gold,
From a far-off Summer Land.
The crystal River we've crossed again,
We've left the Angel Band
To bring to you on our harps of gold
Sweet Music from afar!"
With cadence soft, the angels sing
As they glide from star to star.
Rock-a-Bye, Baby, which my own Mom sang to me, and sings to AJ
(And here are some other songs I have sung when I'm tired of those top four:)
Do-Re-Mi
I Love You a Bushel and a Peck
Simple Gifts
If I Were a Butterfly
Slumber Song (Sleep, Oh My Darling)
Pirate Dreams (These last two were tucked into the far corners of my memory; I sang them in voice lessons when I was, like, 12. It was hard work to recall all the lyrics, but I did it in the deep, dark hours of those midnight feedings, when AJ was tiny.)
The Farmer in the Dell
Hush, Little Baby, Don't Say a Word (once I finally figured out all the words)
No comments:
Post a Comment