Among all the severely depressing news about Louisiana and Mississippi -- which continues to make me cry every time I turn on the TV or NPR -- I have heard a couple of very encouraging things.
-- Governor of Mississippi, this morning, saying "...we're gonna 'hitch up our britches'..." and get things back in order as fast as possible. Makes me want to hug him. "Hitch up our britches."
-- Atlanta Falcons player Warrick Dunn, challenging every player in the NFL to donate (at least) $5,000.00 to disaster relief. The total would be in the 2 billions. I am now a big fan of Warrick Dunn. (And of the Falcons, who've ALL already ponied up, according to reports.)
-- In Houston, at the Astrodome, some guy who owns a pizza restaurant has his employees (and himself, I presume) over there making pizzas for the refugees. Now THAT is a great way to contribute. It's the little things, you know? But hell, FOOD is rather a big thing. Kudos to him.
It's a disaster down there (understatement of the year) and I can't imagine how in the world the relief organizations can even organize themselves, right there in the thick of it, to get anything accomplished. The name "organization" is sort-of a misnomer in this situation. They're more like "relief intentions." But there are so many local aid efforts going on, all around the country, that are going to make a big difference. Eventually. I hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment