Wednesday, October 17

A small dilemma

I missed Blog Action Day on Monday. It's unfortunate because we're right smack in the middle of a terrible drought in Georgia, and for once, I am actually THINKING A LOT about the environment. Specifically, about water usage and conservation. Disclaimers: I haven't seen Al Gore's big movie and frankly I'm scared of it; I don't recycle because my garbage service swears to me that they separate everything at the dump; and I don't compost because it's icky and smelly.

HOWEVER! This water thing has me trying to make changes: planning a trip to Lowe's today to buy a lo-flow shower head, and washing my face in cold instead of waiting 15 seconds for the water to warm up. (The horrors.) I've also become a little less vigilant about flushing the toilet -- "If it's yellow, let it mellow..." -- especially when I'm the only one home on Mondays/Thursdays. It's a bit unpleasant, but hey, saving 10-20 gallons of water is worth it right now. They're saying we have 115 days left of water in North Georgia. I don't like the sound of that. Having plenty of drinking water later WILL BE pleasant, thank you. It greatly outweighs the inconvenience of a dirty potty now.

My dilemma is thus: AJ is a forgetful little soul, and oftentimes wants to leave the bathroom toute de suite after finishing his business, without flushing. Gotta get back to his shows educational toys, y'know. I don't want him to think that's okay! I want to march him right back in and say, "Flush it, mister." But in these desperate times.... I'm letting it mellow.

What to do? I shrug and try to explain to a 3-year-old that we need to save water. Ha. I hope he'll realize one day, when toilets are required to be lo-flow, that flushing is important. Don't want him to be one of THOSE kids, after all. Eew.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Seriously, though, even if you don't live in Georgia, conserve water. Your state may be asked to ship it down here when we're all parched and cracking come January! Here are some great tips. Surprisingly, most of these are things that Hubby and I thought of before having to read them -- we're just lazy Americans with too many blessings that we take for granted.

3 comments:

nicole said...

My son doesn't flush either, at least some of the time. I don't let it worry me too much. I'm trying to be conscious of how much water we use, as we have been in drought conditions in the past. It is easy to do the little things, if you think about them.

Madame Queen said...

We've been doing the "let it mellow" thing for a while (though I haven't had the courage to admit it before now!) so I had to laugh about your dilemma with AJ. This morning Bubba said "I hope it rains today. We need some more water." And then he chimed in with "And mommy, last night when I got up to go poop, I didn't even flush!"

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I guess I should stop yelling at my husband and son for their flushing forgetfullness. But then again, I'm sure that I can think of better ways to conserve water...because gagging and then having to use water to clean up what my gagging produces kind of defeats the purpose. I know, TMI. I'm just sayin...