And by that I mean, someone tagged me! Chantal at Bread Crumbs in the Butter (and everyone else) is doing this meme and hey, I’ll admit to being a joiner.
Ten Years Ago:
In September, 1995, I was just beginning my senior year of college, for the first time living off-campus in a cute little apartment with my friend Cantus. It was an effort for me to ask my parents to let me do this, and I don’t know if by doing it, I was bleeding them dry, but I was also excited to have just started a work-study job that paid – get this -- $5.25/hour! I said in my diary, “But it’s about to go up to $5.75! Hope I can pay my bills!” Oh, the innocence. I “didn’t know from bills” back then! ...I was also dating, long-distance, My College BF (it had been 2 years by this point). He’d graduated a year earlier than me and moved home to Texas. I was whine-ily missing him in the particular diary entry I found for this date. *dry-heave* He wasn't a bad person, it's just that I'm realizing now what I thought was Love was really just a ginormous crush. I had a crush on him my whole freshman year, then he kissed me sophomore year, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. So I stuck with it longer than I should have. ANyway....!
Five Years Ago:
I was engaged to be married to DH, and had just moved myself into what would be our first little apartment home together. I had “split up” with Cantus and cried about it – it was the end of a long era of being roommates and best pals! – but was definitely enjoying having a place ALL to myself. What a treat! I was shopping for bridal dresses (I remember doing this all alone and feeling lonely), and working at the Job I Hated. That was possibly the oddest time of my life – I was living alone for the first time in my life, yet very much together with Soon-To-Be-Husband. I was thrilled and In Love, but Hated my job. It was All Paradox, All the Time.
One Year Ago:
One year ago, actually, I was counting out the last remaining hours of my maternity leave, grieving that 12 weeks -- what seemed like a lifetime of job-free days, at the beginning! -- could fizzle out so soon. I was making sure to sit outside in the cool early fall morning air each day, nuzzling the sweet little folds of AJ's creamy skin, and cooing at him, teaching him the difference between a cardinal’s "peep, peep" and a blue jay’s distant chirp. I was also walking, daily. That was nice. And I was finally comfortable with his feeding and napping schedule. It took me forever to get confident that whatever worked for us, was OK. I had read wayyyy too many books. I was sad, a year ago. Did I say that? I couldn’t imagine how to leave him.
(But we did it, and we managed, and look how far we’ve come.)
Yesterday:
I was at the office from 8-4, working working. And checking things off the list. I had lunch with DH in the lunchroom. Afterwards, I was at home with AJ, who’d had a bit of a rough tummy according to his Wonderful Teacher -– but he seemed just fine and dandy to me. I was making boxed Mac & Cheese (Gerah!) with broccoli and tuna -– a mighty delicious dinner if I do say so myself. Then I was briefing DH on the goings-on, handing AJ over, and sneaking out to choir practice. Then I was singing. Then I was rolling my eyes. Then, thanks be to God, I was home again, watching Lost and folding itty-bitty socks.
Five Songs I Know All The Words To:
The Morning Mambo, by Bear
Insomniac, by Billy Pilgrim
Livin’ on a Prayer, Bon Jovi
Lord of All Hopefulness
Another Suitcase in Another Hall, from Evita
Five Snacks:
Chips and Salsa
Chips and Guacamole
Chips and cheese dip
Chips and bean dip
Chips and I don’t know, what else is there?!… Um… Peach Salsa
Five things I'd do with 100 million dollars:
Lordy. Buy a new house. Well, first, fix up and sell this one. DECORATE new house. Buy husband a new car. (Or three.) Hire an accountant.
Five places I'd run away to:
Paris
Canada
Minnesota
Colorado
Episcopal Church
Five things I would never wear:
A wet suit
A Scuba tank
Gauchos
Leg warmers
army fatigues
Five Favourite TV Shows
Lost
Queer Eye
Amazing Race
Will & Grace
Ally McBeal
Five greatest joys
Husband
AJ
Family
Singing
Great food
Five favourite toys:
? I have no idea.
Current Reads:
Good Wives
Parenting magazine (I’m a sucker, I read it)
A Million Blogs
Real Simple magazine
My cookbooks
Five People I am tagging to do this:
I think a lot of my peeps have already done it. Krissy? Have you? SDW? Feel like a goof-off exercise? Beansy? Indigo Girl? Stacie? How 'bout it?
7 comments:
i don't think she does... just thought I'd peg her since she's one my only regular readrs!! ;)
Ten Years Ago:
In September, 1995, I was just beginning college. I was a freshmen at a college that I thought was huge (my chemistry class that year was the size of my graduating senior class in high school). I was living in the dorms with my best friend from high school and mostly her boyfriend that was two years ahead of us from high school (in our dorm room). It was an weird year - I ended up moving out and meeting some great people. I also met my first college boyfriend who I dated for a year. I wanted space/he wanted nothing but me - we have talked twice since.
Five Years Ago:
I was trying to adjust to marriage (had been married 2 months at the time) and Alaska. I had just started my job here at GCI and was feeling very insecure about myself and had a feeling that I was going to fail. Hubby was deployed and my dad had just falled back home and broke his hip and was in the hospital. But the hospital stay helped dad quit smoking :) YEAH...
One Year Ago:
One year ago, I was trying to not cry everyday and be sad as hubby prepared to leave for Korea. It has been one year on Monday. We were trying to fit all the together time we could in the last few days. Had big hopes that we would do ok with the separation and we are doing great I think.. Almost to the crest of the hill so we can start back down.
Yesterday:
I worked from 5am to 3am. Went to the scrapbook store with a friend to get stuff for christmas cards and then ended up home and in bed with a huge migraine that is still with me today. Got called twice for work but managed to make it through. Today has got to be better.
Five Songs I Know All The Words To:
Baby Girl by Sugarland
Something More by Sugarland (Can you tell I got their cd?)
Redneck Yacht Club by Craig Morgan
Mississippi Girl by Faith Hill
Play Something Country by Brooks & Dunn.
Five Snacks:
Chips and Salsa
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nachos
Potato Skins
Fruit Snacks
Five things I'd do with 100 million dollars:
Buy a house. Help Hubby get all his licenses to be a pilot (so he could do it faster). Invest some. Spoil myself and hubby some. :)
Five places I'd run away to:
Australia
Mexico
Hawaii
Back to bed under the covers :)
Anywhere with hubby.
Five things I would never wear:
A thong swimsuit
Camoflauge
Blue eyeshadow
Tight clothes (anything skin tight)
Belly Shirts (can you see I am quite conservative with my clothes?)
Five Favourite TV Shows
Beautiful Girls
Wildfire
Amazing Race
CSI
Law & Order
Five greatest joys
Husband
Family
Friends
My puppies
Alone time sometimes
Five favourite toys:
Bike
Computer
MP3 Player
Deck of Cards
Board games of all kinds
Current Reads:
*Postmorten by Patricia Cornwell (just finished)
*Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell (just getting ready to finish)
*Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell (next book to read)
*People Magazine
*CCNA study guide book for my work certification (not as much as I should)
Stacie! I didn't know you like Sugarland! I can't wait til they WIN all the CMA awards in November! :) :)
Yep - I saw you mention them last week and had heard them on cmt and cmt.com. Just hadn't bought the cd. Did that last weekend and it is in the cd player in the car.. :)
I'm it !
Okay, Here’s what I can say in the time it takes me to close my eyes, remember my life, and count to ten!
Ten Years Ago:
It had taken me several years of applying as well as accepting a huge paycut, but I had just gotten the job of my dreams as an editor at Longstreet Press. I also was sinking into anorexia, which the job, with its un-nurturing environment and hour-plus commute, didn’t help. We were living in Newnan, Darryl was depressed, and we loved each other anyway.
One Year Ago:
I felt my life was going pretty well, except that I was obsessed with the idea of having children, and D was getting less happy about the idea by the minute.
Yesterday:
We slept late, ate a big breakfast, went to our great-nephew’s birthday party, walked, went to BJs, fixed a delicious supper, and talked, talked, talked. I couldn’t get to sleep last night, but it was a good day.
Five Songs I Know All The Words To:
Anything by Billy Joel or Amy Grant or The Cars. Lots of songs by the Dixie Chicks, Keb Mo, Salvadore. Strange stuff like Phantom of the Opera songs. Any Christmas carol. I think I know thousands of lyrics.
Five Snacks:
apples
yogurt
nuts
granola bars
Creme Savers
Do I really have to stop at five?
Five things I'd do with 100 million dollars:
Buy D a production studio and hire all our friends.
Travel the world.
Buy a place on the coast, probably in Charleston.
Give some away!
Quit my job.
Five places I'd run away to:
Colorado
Charleston
Somewhere with mountains, a cool breeze, a river, and lots of trees
A farm
Anyplace with a beach
Five things I would never wear:
Pointy-toed shoes
A tennis skirt
A thong
A navel ring
Eyeliner
Five Favourite TV Shows
Amazing Race
Survivor
West Wing
Numbers
Monk
(not much to choose from on this one)
Five greatest joys
Husband
Sunshine (my bird)
Family (Mom, Dad, Sis, etc.)
The great outdoors (my flowers need watering so badly)
Reading
Five favourite toys:
Board games (Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly)
Word games (where you’re guessing the meanings of words and stuff)
Crossword puzzles
Jigsaw puzzles
Chinese checkers
Current Reads:
Rococo (Adriana Trigiani) Not so great.
Oprah magazine
Bookmarks magazine
Time magazine
Lee’s blog, obviously!
P.S. I also know all the words to Sugarland's Baby Girl (love it) and Indigo Girl songs!
I love all of these!! SDW, I was at BJ's yesterday, too, but I didn't see you. ;) Thx for playin' w/ me!
This is silly, but I just realized that people may be offended by my "things I would never wear." I have NOTHING against these things on other people -- I mean, I wish I looked good in a tennis skirt, for instance; it's just that for various reasons, they aren't for me!
Post a Comment