It has long been a wish of mine to have a singing solo (see right). Once, during high school, when the director of the spring musical felt guilty because he promised me a part and then reneged, he gave me a small, 5-second singing solo in Act II. A second time, in college, because I was the VP of the university chorus, the conductor let me sing the soprano part of a 4-part quartet: approximately 16 measures of one piece. Both were small parts. Both were significant to my little singing ego. But I have since learned that, as much as it would be nice to be the soloist, it is also very important to have good singers on the melody, leading the congregation, making the unified chorus sound unified.
Wednesday night, I went to my first rehearsal of the St. Joseph's church choir. I've been a parishoner there for 3 years, but haven't had the desire to join them. But Sunday, I was mysteriously Called by a notice in the bulletin: "Music Ministry needs singers, esp. sopranos." ...and when does a choir EVER need sopranos? So, I went. It was fun, in a nostalgic way. I was in a legitimate, grown-up church choir in my single days, for about 4 years. (And in many, many teen church choirs all through my school years.) Made some wonderful friends in the adult choir, had a great director, sang some great music. (Actually, I think I sang a duet there once, too. Not a solo, mind you, a duet.) St. Joseph's group is so similar, it made me smile. Church choirs are all the same. You've got your big-shots, who sing with the local civic chorus and think they know it all. You've got your humble folks who don't really read music or have any formal training, but like to sing. You've got the ones that, bless their hearts, have been in the choir for going-on-17 years. I think the weekly choir-ing is something that I like -- maybe need -- to have in my life, and I was glad to be there once again.
After rehearsal, the director asked me to stay a minute. I presumed it was to fit my robe, get my phone number and address, you know, the typical stuff. He said, "Would you want to sing solo on "X" song, this Sunday?" I was floored. My first rehearsal! He likes me, he likes me! (He could actually hear me in the acoustically inferior music room, with flute and (loud) 20 tenors going strong!) Now granted, after the first few minutes of rehearsal, I could see why they needed soprani (soprani?). They have more of the "like to sing" variety of choristers than the "have-had-vocal-training" type. I am oh-so-superior, aren't I? But hey, when you're good, you're good. ;) And apparently someone noticed. Hee.
It's technically a duet, if you want to know the truth. But the first verse is mine, all mine. I'll let you know how it goes.
1 comment:
You should tape it and post it as an audio post. Blogger has instructions on how to do that. We would all love to hear you. Congrats to you on your new fame.
Post a Comment