AJ slept fitfully with a fever last night, and although I gave him plenty of Tylenol, the fever hadn't gone down by noon today. So I called the pediatrician. I hesitate to do that, knowing as we all do that fever can be caused by any number of things including teething. I'm always aware of the neuroses of first-time mommies and don't want to be that way - I want to be Mrs. Common Sense about the baby. But you hate to take a chance and let me tell you, when a kid is that hot to the touch, you want to DO something about it. I did all the things that the books say you should do to reduce a fever, but he was still miserable. Admittedly, I was a bit surprised that the nurse said over the phone that they'd want to take a look at him. Surprised and thankful. They easily could have advised me to do Tylenol every 4 hours, lots of liquids, and plenty of love. (Okay, they wouldn't have said the "love" part, but you know as well as I do that it's essential.) Which is, in fact, what they advised after we went in and were seen. But, to be sure, and to make me feel like I did the right thing, they took a blood sample and tested it for viruses. None found, thank goodness.
We're having a sick day together since I'm recovering from yesterday's allergy attack. (Well, I'm recovered mostly, but it still feels good to be home on this dreary day.)
No comments:
Post a Comment