My 10 am meeting has been postponed fifteen minutes -- fifteen minutes of grace that I am taking as a personal "freebie." Time to reflect a little on -- and maybe try to prepare for -- the season of Lent. In recent years, I have done little-to-nothing in the way of sacrificing and/or giving unselfishly. Last year, I happily used the pregnancy excuse -- it had already required me to give up some true loves: caffeine, blue cheese, cold cuts, and alcohol (not really a true love, but you get the point). I couldn't even cheat on Sunday. Besides that, pregnant women are absolved from having to fast and abstain -- such bliss! (Perhaps that's the real reason Catholic women tend to stay pregnant and have lots of kids. Totally kidding if any of you are reading!) Such an easy 40 days! I didn't spend one more thought on it -- just took my free pass and had a season of fat tuesdays (and wednesdays, thursdays, and fridays).
But this year, of course, I am no longer pregnant. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars (unless you give it to the poor). I feel like I should really do something worthwhile. Should I give up something? Yes, I'm sure I should give up sweets and cokes and all things bad for me, like chips and salsa. But as we have all learned in our adult lives, giving up "things" is more of a technique for kids to learn about sacrificing. Much to the dismay of many Lenten giver-uppers, "dieting" isn't what the Lord is calling us to do! I tried, during Advent, to be more prayerful, using this little blue book of daily devotions that my parish handed out. It lasted about 5 days before I got behind in the reading. So I tried to read ahead. That didn't work, either. I'm such a "preparatory season" loser. And during Lent, I usually forget -- I mean, really forget, no kidding -- about no meat on Fridays. I'll be happily digesting my chicken sandwich and at 2pm, the thought hits me, "Oh, dang! No meat today!" Then I'll forget again, at dinner! My husband can tell you, I have a TERRIBLE short-term memory.
Of course, the fact that he isn't Catholic makes me lax with the food restrictions. Don't want to impose weird "no-meat" traditions on the Presbyterian. (And I do think they're weird traditions - almost pointless in this day and age, when eating seafood is a treat, really, not a sacrifice.) Although, as I think about it, I've never asked him if he'd mind.... maybe this year I will. Or not ask, just make meatless Friday meals and not even say anything to him. Hmmm. And yes, volunteering is the trendy thing to do, and would be a nice way to "celebrate" Lent.... AS IF! Like I have the time to add that to my list -- another intention, another year. Perhaps we could/should make our donation to the parish's building fund. That would certainly be a sacrifice, in this time of budgeting and coupon-clipping.
Certainly the main thing ought to be the prayer-life. I do wish I could "ramp it up." To spend 30 minutes each day studying the Bible, or even journaling (does blogging count?) with a prayerful bent. Some of the other blogs I read have posted helpful links, and if online is the only way it's going to happen, then maybe that's the way it has to be. "Live in the Now," as they say! But the other thing they say is "The wish to pray is a prayer in itself." So I'm going to do my best, but not feel overly guilty if I don't manage to read an entire book of the Bible between now and Easter. The whole point of Easter is the forgiveness, anyway, right?
For now, Happy Mardi Gras, and pass the King Cake.
Your friendly neighborhood spiritual Slacker, signing off .
No comments:
Post a Comment