One of my favorite pals is quitting her blog. I am bummed about this because it's a good blog. It was the reason I decided I wanted one. She's a talented writer and I will miss learning from her way with words. She always seems to pinpoint the exact thoughts in her head with the perfect phrase, and it's never pithy or cliche.
She has her reasons, and they're valid. The powerful, friendly Internet has a sinister side, too, whereby friends (or enemies) interpret the written word in a manner most unlike what the writer intended. This happened recently in a string of emails from my parish's former choir director to the new choir director. If you can believe this, name-calling was exchanged between them, and of course those who were CC'd had to jump in to defend, or to add their rude commentary, too. It was all based on somebody's memo-gone-awry. So feelings were hurt, (immaturities proven), and a whole bunch of unbecoming DRAMA ensued. It blew over (after a priest who was CC'd chimed in with quite a reprimand), but it's an illustration of what can happen when our lives, and our dashed-off notes, are chronicled, passed around, filed away, and read and re-read. There's a term I've learned that also applies -- "assvice." I love when people preface their blog comments with "I have this assvice to give:" As if they know they're providing something without being asked, and that they will be seen as jerks for doing so. But... sometimes people don't preface. Anyway, I'm sorry for my friend. She seems sad to bid goodbye to a whole part of herself. But sometimes you just have to make a clean break and forget it.
1 comment:
Post a Comment