Friday, August 12

Welcome, the Idiot Box

I am guilty: I watched the Teletubbies yesterday with AJ. He is finally starting to notice the television, much to my dismay, but I know that's a developmental milestone, too, so I guess it's good as long as we keep it on PBS or Disney, and not on the video game channel. At first I thought, "Whoa, maybe all the research is right, and kids really do like these (wacked-out, drug-induced) Teletubbie guys," because AJ was mezmerized by their weird little talking and the Baby-Head sunshine thing. He even danced once or twice with the music, and smiled and pointed. But every once in a while, he was obviously weirded out (as was I), because he'd let out a little whimper and screw up his face just the tiniest bit. So I think they're weird. I may not watch them again.

I will, however, let him watch Sesame Street, which he seems to be enjoying more and more, and buy him the Cookie Monster CD that DH and I have been craving for months now (we LOVE "If me knew you were coming, me'd have baked a cake." Now that is Classic Cookie). I will also let him watch "Clifford the Big Red Dog," because it is so funny to watch him "barking" at all the other dogs on that show. He stood there yesterday and went, "AAh.... Aah.... Aah.... Aah!" in rapid-fire succession. Which is cute because he doesn't ever "bark" at Napoleon, he just pants. But these dogs apparently needed a Talking To.

No comments: